Kindle e-Reader and Scouting

Santa brought me the Kindle3 e-book reader with wireless connectivity. I was wondering if other scouters have found the device useful in a scouting context. Some obvious applications are e-book version of the Handbook (doesn't exist - the girl scouts have one); Guide to Safe Scouting (Kindle reads the PDF format, but the version National publishes doesn't have jump/links from the table of contents). I also looked at the PDF files national has for "Program Helps" and "Games". The e-reader can display these, but the 8.5x11 formatted pages don't display well on the kindle. What have you done that works well?

Not really.

I've had a Kindle for a year now and have read maybe two books on it. I don't particularly see the big deal. Gizmo dujour. Frankly I prefer an honest-to-goodness book.

I have copies of the Scout books I need. Don't see a reason to pay to have them on Kindle.

Of course my sons tell me I'm that close to being a Ludite, so take it for what it's worth.

The cost of the unit has come down to where I think it is worth the price.. The cost would also keep me from venturing too far out of the home with it. I am known to loose my keys, wallet and head if not bolted on.. A normal Handbook I could stomach loosing or getting water logged better then I could a Kindle reader.

For some of my programming books I would not mind it though. it is hard to balance a 600+ page book and a laptop on your lap at the same time. So someday, I may get one.

I don't have a kindle. I'm waiting for the $99 Kindle :-) I've heard that they make waterproof cases for them, and for light duty I would imagine a one gallon freezer ziplock would be a good waterproofer. I predict that my 6th grade son will be using a kindle-like device for textbooks in college.

About the only context I can see something like this being useful is when you are in an indoor setting with no kids involved. The reason I say that is because I don't think that these e-readers are widespread enough that they have lost the "wow factor." Which to me means that most youth are going to be focusing more on the device and less on the content. I think this would be a great tool for things like leader meetings though.

Putting on my librarian hat here. We get a lot of questions about e-books and readers. One of the limitations of the Kindle is that you're pretty much locked into what Amazon can supply for you. While it reads PDF formatted materials, unless they are enhanced with a table of contents and links, you end up doing a lot of scrolling. I'm not sure Amazon would see much of a market in any Scouting books for the Kindle - their focus is on materials with a large audience (and profit potential).

There is an e-version of the Scout handbook, but its an app for the iPod/iPad.

Some of the other e-book readers are more "open", using Adobe Digital Editions software. These readers can access PDF and EPUB formatted materials, including e-books you can 'borrow' from some libraries.

Right now, BSA hasn't released any publications in EPUB format. There are quite a few publications in PDF, which is a huge step forward - they didn't exist even two or three years ago.

Maybe this is something the new CIO can work on. (Once he fixes ScoutNet - he he he)

I keep a few free (as in out of copyright) classics in the Kindle app on my Android phone. Comes in handy on long flights. The small screen size is not conducive to books with any type of illustration though.

I've been debating between a Kindle and a Nook for over a year, but can't decide which I would prefer.

I guess there are a lot of troops out there that are trying to work technology into the Scouting program. While I am working with my Webelos to learn the craft of things. Our Craftsman AB is going to be using things like Hand saws, miter boxes,, coping saws, hand drills and the bit and brace. Maybe even a plane and blocks for sanding.

The big question that I have is, if we have the handbook on Kindle, how are we going to get it signed.

Now I can see electronic versions of the Field book and Requirements book, but IMO there is nothing better than the original wireless reader, "a book"

Scouting skills have changed so much I think that we need to teach boys that there is still some usefulness in knowing how to work with ones hands and build something with pride. Where has that gone. Orienteering has gone and been replaced with GPS, now books are being replaced by E-readers.

I miss the old scouting program

I have a Nook, and have loaded my .pdf training files on it. The quality isn't great, but it works and is a step in the right direction.

I chose the Nook for the ability to loan books to friends, in addition to the ability to load .epub books and the e-ink on the screen seemed to load better for my eyes.

I enjoy holding a real book, but on-the-go lifestyle is far more reader-friendly when I can carry the books in my purse and not have to worry about packing boxes when I need to move.

My wife and I both have Kindles - and love them.

As far as Scouting applications for the Kindle I'd say it's limited, as limited as any book. The great value of the Kindle to me as a Scouter would be that I can "carry" a couple thousand books in my back pocket. What books you carry are up to you. The official Scout books are not available for Kindle - or any other e-reader - yet. But tons of other books are. Books with quality black and white line drawings are best if you're looking for illustrations. I have several books on knots, lashings, splicing (old and FREE), books on "old style" (pre-1920) camping skills and techniques (also FREE), nature guides, project books, etc on kindle. I also keep project ideas and plans (pdf format) on the kindle and a converter for measurements. But then I also read a lot and don't like to get of books, especially books with interesting things in them so the ability to store/transport a lot of material is pretty useful for me. Library books and some FREE e-books do need to be converted to allow reading on the Kindle; there is nothing difficult about this.

There are "apps" for reading Kindle books on the iPhone, Droid, and your PC so if you wanted to access Amazon's extensive library but not buy the Kindle, you can.

Battery lasts up to two weeks with a LOT of time spent reading - IF THE WIRELESS IS TURNED OFF. Of course, out in the wilderness you're probably not trying to get wifi anyway... With wifi on we've gotten anywhere from 5 to 9 days before felt it was time to charge ours.

For books without "linked Table of Contents, note how the chapter starts (like Chapter, Chapter 2 or whatever) and search for the word (in this case "chapter"). Voila, you have a "jumpable" TofC on your Kindle. For something like the G2SS, search for a keyword you're looking for - boat, youth protection, etc.

Bottom line is the Kindle allows you to have LOTS of books at your fingertips, it does not enable you to do anything a book doesn't. It just puts a lot more books at your disposal.

I have a Libra e-reader I managed to score for $20 as a closeout. I think it's great...but I'm happy reading the classics which are mostly free. Just finished Dracula and an 1869 book about brook trout fishing. In a couple hours surfing the web, I put hunderds of free books on it. Very convenient for traveling.

I picked up the Handbook for Boys and an old SM Handbook in the E-Pub format from Google. Not sure if Google supports the kindle format, but it has plenty of EPUB abd TXT books.

addendum...a few of the free scout related books available for download from Google ebooks:

Title The boy scout

Author Richard Harding Davis

Publisher Scribner's, 1914

Title The Boy Scouts' year book

Author Boy Scouts of America

Publisher Published for the Boy Scouts of America [by] D. Appleton and Company, 1915

Title Handbook for scout masters: Boy scouts of America

Publisher Boy scouts of America, 1913

Title The Official handbook for boys

Edition 4

Publisher Doubleday, Page & company, 1913

Title The Boy scout's hike book: the first of a series of handy volumes of information and inspiration

Author Edward Cave

Publisher Doubleday, Page & company, 1913

Title Boy scouts beyond the Arctic circle: or, The lost expedition, Book 1913

Boy Scouts Beyond the Arctic Circle: Or, The Lost Expedition, George Harvey Ralphson

Author George Harvey Ralphson

Publisher M. A. Donahue & Company, 1913

Title Boy scouts on the trail

Author John Garth

Publisher Barse & Co., 1920

Title The boy scouts' mountain camp

Boy scout series, Howard Payson

Author Howard Payson