As of 9:30am today here sin CNY weve had 99.5 hours of continuous steady snowfall and counting....

"Officially" we have had 36" since Dec. 1 with 8-12" predicted today and another 8-12" more tonight.

It looks like Im going to cancel the Den meeting for the 2nd week in a row due to the weather.

Most of schools in the area are closed today and the roads are nasty.

Luckily we are in pretty good shape with our Bear Advancements.

I will need to finish (with help of my Cub Scout and Daughters) the signs for our song (12 days of Christmas) for the Pack meeting next week.

It should be real interesting (and lots of Fun) with no rehearsals.

Even though its a song just about everyone knows I would have liked to gone through it with them at least once.

Last year, here in central Virginia, the snow (nothing like what you have up there in NY) in January and February messed up most of the den and pack activities for those months. Everyone was delayed until near the end of the school year for rank advancements and stuff. It is definitely a challenge keeping everyone on track when your program is bombarded with crazy weather.

We've just lost our 8 solid inches of snow and ice. Getting ready for a reset tonight.

As for the 12 Days of Christmas, we sang the 12 days of Chirstmas in New Zealand at Thinking Day one year. We randomly assigned a day to a troop or two, and whenever it was that day's turn, they sang their line. Everybody sang "5 big fat pigs." It was totally unrehearsed and a smashing success.

O.K. - this is totaly hijacking the thread, but now I'm intrigued. The verse we sing for five is "Five golden rings". What other difference are there?

A Partridge in a pear tree

Two Turtle Doves

Three French Hens

Four Calling Birds

Five Golden Rings

Six Geese A-Laying

Seven Swans A-Swimming

Eight Maids A-Milking

Nine Ladies Dancing

Ten Lords A-Leaping

Eleven Pipers Piping

Twelve Drummers Drumming

Five Gold Rings (sung as Five Go-old Rings).

Of course, that's actually the original verse and Five Golden Rings is the variation, at least in the US.

Oh, and Four Calling Birds is originally Four Colley Birds (a Colley bird is a blackbird - of "four and twenty blackbirds baked in a pie" fame).

As for the Partridge in a Pear Tree - that phrase seems to indicate that this is originally a French song rather than an English song as most believe it to be. The native partridge in France is a red-legged variety that perches in trees while the native partridge of Britain is a gray bird that doesn't perch in a tree.

At least thats what I recall from High School chorus.

Lyrics to "A Pukeko in a Ponga Tree" aka "The 12 Days of Christmas in NZ"

On the twelfth day of Christmas

My true love gave to me

Twelve piupius swinging

Eleven haka lessons

Ten juicy fish heads

Nine sacks of pipis

Eight plants of puha

Seven eels a swimming

Six pois a twirling

Five big fat pigs!

Four huhu grubs