LDS program changes #1

GEE BADENP,

HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF THE CO HAVING THE RIGHT TO USE THE PROGRAM HOW THEY SEE FIT. IT WOULD STAND TO REASON THAT A CO MIGHT HAVE TO ESTABLISH SOME GUIDELINES A LONG THE WAY. THINK OF IT AS UNIT BYLAWS.

(This message has been edited by Gary_Miller)

Gary

You have once again proved my point in the prior thread, LDS scouting is different than traditional scouting. Also I suggest that you look up the definition of guidelines versus dictates or mandates and I think that even you will have to agree the LDS scouting program handbooks falls under the latter. HAVE A GOOD EVENING!

Having set on several EBORs for LDS scouts I've come to the conclusion that there is no such thing as Varsity or Venturing in LDS units. When asked what program they are in they will answer "Boy Scouts" even though their uniform has blaze loops and the application says Crew. I met one that had earned his Varsity letter, and none that knew about the Denali Award or the Bronze/Gold/Silver or Ranger Awards for Venturing.

Not to change the subject, but why does the Denali Award exist? In looking at the requirements, the only difference I see between what older scouts do in a troop, and varsity scouts do in a team is earning the Varsity letter.

BTW did anyone find any official notice on when Venture patrols stopped being able to earn the letter? I know they opened they opened the Venture HA pins to Varsity Teams and Varsity pins to Venutre Crews, now called Venture Patrols in 1995 or 1996, but don't know when Venture patrols stopped being able to earn them. I know it wasn't popular and most troops didn't even know about it, but i did sell one or two.

jet526, "Having set on several EBORs for LDS scouts I've come to the conclusion that there is no such thing as Varsity or Venturing in LDS units. When asked what program they are in they will answer "Boy Scouts" even though their uniform has blaze loops and the application says Crew. I met one that had earned his Varsity letter, and none that knew about the Denali Award or the Bronze/Gold/Silver or Ranger Awards for Venturing."

This is a problem in many LDS units. Its seems that there is so much value placed on the Eagle award that Varsity Teams and Venturing Crew focus on Scout advancements and not the programs.

In my area we have been trying to get Team and Crew Advisors to focus implementing the program. Helping them to understand that it the program that will keep the YM involved and that keeping the YM involved is more important than advancement in the end. It also hard to convince inexperience leaders that advancement will automatically happen if the program is functioning as it should.

"There is no longer any mention about Varsity or Venturing." Actually, the new handbook specifically references the 1997 LDS Scouting handbook (all 5 pages of it), which still does mention Varsity scouting. It looks like the church decided that the compound phrase troop/crew was just too cumbersome. The new handbook really doesn't go into much detail on Scouting, other than to restate what was already out and to give local units even more autonomy.

"HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF THE CO HAVING THE RIGHT TO USE THE PROGRAM HOW THEY SEE FIT. IT WOULD STAND TO REASON THAT A CO MIGHT HAVE TO ESTABLISH SOME GUIDELINES A LONG THE WAY. THINK OF IT AS UNIT BYLAWS."

I think some of us would feel better about what y'all are doing over there if you weren't so insistent on how we are allowed to do things over here. Just sayin'.

BTW, there is really no need to yell. We can hear you just fine.