More and more, I am coming to the realization that USFS Visitor Centers are a fantastic source for materials and other information that fit well with both the CS and BS outdoor program (I am currently registered in both). Many times, I will be the only one in these centers, and without fail, the ranger or volunteer who is working there is more than happy to strike up a conversation. They always have stacks of various educational materials set out, and before taking a quantity, I ask permission and explain that it is for my scouts. Many times, this leads to a response along the lines of "let me check in back," and the person returns with a box of even more stuff. I have gotten LNT cards, maps, wildlife & plant ID guides, posters, coloring books, ideas for local hikes, etc., etc. Some is geared toward younger kids, while some is directed toward older youth and adults. The scouts are usually interested in receiving and using the materials.

I'm becoming more involved in working with our PLC, and have suggested some of these visitor centers as stops on outings. I suspect that the rangers would be just as willing to talk to the scouts.

Any other tips for getting handouts or other useful material?

1) Look up free teachers' info on various topics.

2) Ask your local librarian what resources are available, both at the library, and online that they can find.

3) if you are doing a topic that their is a MB for talk to the MBCs.

4)Use your local Scouts and Venturers. I got an very unexpected surprise last nite when not only did my DC show up in his Grass Dance regalia for the Native American den meeting, but he brought a new OA dancer and his Venturing sister. New dancer dressed outin my reagalis, sis, who didn't bring her jingle dress b/c dad didn't knwo it woudl be ok, read stories, and the DC lent part of his regalia to my oldest to dress out in N. trad.

At the Cub Scout level, most State Parks seem to have some sort of "Junior Ranger" program, which is usually a workbook with various activities to do around the park. There is usually plenty of other free literature that they're happy to give away. They usually have some kind of museum or interpretive center, and more often than not, it's empty.

In Minnesota and Wisconsin, you need a vehicle sticker to get into the park. But frankly, I can't imagine living here without having that sticker!

For those of us in this region there's a fantastic resource at Coweeta Hydrologic Laboratory near Franklin, NC. It's thousands of acres of forest and experimental watersheds with a center in which you can find a huge amount of supporting material for environmental science MB. Plus there are trails..the AT goes right across the top over Albert Mtn and although there's no camping within the boundary, you CAN camp just across the boundary to the west, just off the AT. It's a great place for a day or several.

Trust Packsaddle to come up an outing at a lab! :)

Just kidding, it sounds like a good idea, as do all of these. Better than my troop, which is sort of stuck in a rut with our 10 weekend trips a year being basically a rotation between only about 13 or 14 different places, and always the same...(This message has been edited by njcubscouter)

Your local US Forest Service offices are great resources for a variety of information, assistance with conservation merit badges, Leave No Trace, Tread Lightly programming as well as opportunities for hiking and camping trips.

Our local ranger district office provides our troop with free camping at their group sites or family campgrounds in exchange for a service project such as trash pick up, or a recreation area clean up day. They have also been extremely helpful when our boys find an Eagle Scout project they want to do on NF lands. We have built bridges, trailheads, painted parking lot lines etc. The local FS office partnered in our BSA 100th anniversary celebration and provided hands on displays for the CS and BS to cut tree cookies and squirt back pack water pumps!

The USFS can certainly be an untapped resource for scouts!

The state Departments of Forestry are also wonderful resources for scouts. Both state and federal agencies can provide fire prevention handouts (Smokey Bear) and information on conservation issues.