Sleeping whilst operating a motor vehicle...

1. Nap Nap Nap - If I'm "on" as crew advisor, I know I won't be settled until 1 AM. Therefore, tell my other drivers to get shut-eye. My hammock is for that afternoon nap, or even 1/2 hour before we pull out. If work needs done, that's what youth are for. On the road, if I gotta pull over for 10-20 minutes, so be it.

2. Who's riding shotgun? You'd better be able to talk and you'd better have something worth listening to on the iPhone thingy. If I hear a cussword coming over my speakers, they gotta switch tunes/channel or they'll hear from me. Holding the line on the 11'th point also helps keep me awake.

At one time in my life I made my living driving. What has always worked for me is a cup of coffee and then water sips often. Frequent stops to walk a bit help. There really is not much substitute for a good nights sleep the night before. Eat a lite lunch if possible. If eating dinner before leaving avoid carbs. If you get too tired which I define as the eyes close more than a blink then pull over and nap, then walk.

Unfortunately I drive tired all the time, a byproduct of my career choice and it's unpredictable schedule. It is true, when your mind shuts down, it does. There is not much that will keep you awake if you are overtired. Remember, driving tired is the same as driving drunk. Your judgment and motor skills are impaired. I have used smelling salts on those occasions when I have been up for 30 hours straight, then take my 90 minute commute. I have also slept in my car for up to hours. I agree, find closer camping spots and save the longer trips for 3 day-weekends or mini-vacations. But I should think the smell of Scouts enclosed in a vehicle on the return trip would keep anyone awake! ;)

This reminds me of a joke that I will shamelessly borrow from Click and Clack:

I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather did,

Not screaming in terror like his passengers did.

Just a little dark humor there...

I prevent this outcome by planning my clever retorts in the next Issues and Politics forum. No, that doesn't really work.

I prevent this by thinking about my mother-in-law. Bless her soul, I do love her but she drives me crazy. No, that only lasts a little while.

I prevent this by eating junk food almost all the time (no lie) when I'm driving. Kind of a sugar-and-salt high and if I wash it down with coffee I'm forced to make frequent stops (we only have custody of coffee for a very short while).