Youth Protection Issue?

Austin, TX (AP) - A seven year old boy was at the center of a Dallas County courtroom drama yesterday when he challenged a court ruling over who should have custody of him. The boy has a history of being beaten by his parents and the judge initially awarded custody to his aunt, in keeping with child custody law and regulation requiring that family unity be maintained to the highest degree reasonably possible.

The boy surprised the court when he proclaimed that his aunt beat him more than his parents and he adamantly refused to live with her. When the judge then suggested that he live with his grandparents, the boy cried and and said that they also beat him.

After considering the remainder of the immediate family and learning that domestic violence was apparently a way of life among them, the judge took the unprecedented step of allowing the boy to propose who should have custody of him.

After two recesses to check legal references and confer with the child welfare officials, the judge granted temporary custody to the Dallas Cowboys football team, whom the boy firmly believes are not capable of beating anyone.

Hope this helps your day be a little better!

OTN

Those who don't think this post is funny are one of two types:

1- People who have NO sense of humor and get more joy from expressing phoney outrage.

- or -

2- Dallas Cowboys fans...

I don't think it's funny.

I expressed no outrage, phoney (or phony) or otherwise.

As for having a sense of humor, I have been told, both in real life and on the Internet (including in this forum) that I am a pretty funny guy, and I love a good joke. I even like a lot of BAD jokes (bad in the sense of puns and back-of-Boys-Life-type jokes, not bad in the sense of evil - although I have, in my life, laughed at some jokes I shouldn't have. (Anybody ever hear the one where the punchline is, "Well, you're going to hate Thursdays!"? I love that one, but I can't tell any more of it than that in this forum, and it definitely is not campfire approved. Heck, in this forum I have heard objections to "And the sap is still running", which I thought was hilarious, at least the first three or four times I saw it performed, usually with a Commissioner or Cubmaster in the title role.)) But as I have gotten older I have realized that there are some subjects that make a joke inherently unfunny, and this was one of them.

On your last point, when I do follow the NFL these days, I root for the Jets, who (and I had to look this up just now, I didn't know) seem to be doing very well so far this season.

(Added note: I just looked up that joke on the Internet, so for anybody who looks it up, the version I know is shorter, funnier, has all the crude words removed and is set in (or actually on the way to) a federal prison, not in the Devil's domain as are most of the Internet versions. And it was told to me by a prominent (now late) New Jersey political figure, who was a great storyteller, and who told it as a true story with the names of two other actual politicians as the characters in the joke.)(This message has been edited by njcubscouter)

Call me uptight or preachy, but I just don't find it to be funny. Simple as that. This goes beyond a "gray area." There are lots of other fill-in-the-blank sports team jokes out there that don't center around causing intentional harm to a child.

Good fun is good fun. Child abuse isn't.

UCEagle,

I moved about a year ago from Detroit to Baltimore (Thanks Jenny) One of the first things I noticed was all the people wearing purple Ravens jerseys. It's just bizarre that an entire city actually roots for a football team.

I got caught comitting an unpardonable sin though. I'm not a football fan and the car we bought had a Ravens sticker on it. I actually removed the sticker during game time. Nobody saw me though for obvious reasons