Saying Goodbye as Scoutmaster

The time has finally come. Many of you have followed my posts over the years and know of my early struggle in reforming a dying troop. Through much work, we finally pulled this Troop together and a couple of years ago grew from 9 to 24 Scouts. We have a terrific and well-trained group of adult leaders now, the boys are enthusiastic and in charge of their troop, the program is strong, and we are attracting Scouts. Yep, we're the talk of the town. OK, enough bragging.

You may also remember that for several years I have been suffering from health problems that slowly but surely affected my ability to camp and hike and do much of anything outdoors for any significant amount of time.

At the end of this year, I am stepping down as Scoutmaster. It is a sad choice to make, but the right one at the right time. My replacement has really been doing the outdoor part of the job for almost a year now, while I have been more focused on getting our Committee better organized. So, I will change over to Troop Committee Chair. New SM requested that I stay on and not leave the Troop outright, and for that I am very grateful.

I am enormously proud of our Scouts and look forward to continuing to watch and help them grow.

gwd

I know how you feel. When I decided to leave my troop after years there it was hard, but I moved over to Venturing and got a crew built up from nothing to a very large and active one.

Last year I decided to step down from advisor to become the Committee chair and COR after eight years. You know what though, the new leaders still come and ask for advice, I am still invited to go on their outings by them and the teens, and I think you will experience the same thing with your troop. You may have changed positions but you still are and will continue to be a vital part of keeping that troop prospering. Good Luck and enjoy watching what you helped to build keep growing.

Stepping down as Scoutmaster was the hardest thing I have ever done in scouting. I still miss it. What helped was that I had a great job to go to, with new and different challenges.

I know now that it was the right decision. I, too, have some health issues that would have prevented me from camping and carrying a backpack. I see the changes that the leaders that replaced me are making and they make sense.

Best wishes in your new position as CC. And kudos for growing your troop and it's leadership.

I know exactly what you are going through. I to am stepping down as SM this week. It was like as soon as the paper work was signed I felt bad. I have decided to stay on as an ASm for right now but others are trying to talk me into Commis. I still enjoy the Troop and camping and all the stuff that goes with. we started out with about 24 boys and are now upwards of 65. We have a great group of leaders and the committee is fairly good. to top it off I couldn't have asked for a better replacement. I've been told not to show up at regular meetings for a few months. I'm not going to know what to do with my extra hour a week.