Why "2" to salute after pledge of allegiance?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am a bit of an interloper who just happened to stumble across your page, but as a retired Navy Chief Petty Officer, I do know where the command "two" comes from. The US Navy adopted a LOT of tr

Sounds like a good scoutmaster minute. Thanks. Oh, and it's one more thing we can blame on the British  

It's a piece of old Army drill and ceremony that has snuck into BSA flag ceremonies. If the boys are paying attention to the flag ceremony, they don't need aural clues. If you're in a brigade sized formation, you may need the hint. I've actually never heard it used in 18 years being married to the Army. Use or chuck it at your leisure.

Would seem to be "t0!", not two, indicating hand to its original place while at attention. Or, it might relate to a number in a manual of commands; but I think it is more likely the first.

Someone out there likely has better resources or memory.

All these years, I thought they were saying "to", but someone told me that it was really "two", because "one" would mean "salute", and "two" means "stop saluting".

I don't know whether that's true, but it sounds like as good a theory as any. If I had been called upon to come up with a theory, I probably would have said that it means that you can once again put your hand "to" your side. :)

"TWO" (yes, it is actually the number version) is a part of older D&C, that has remained in some commands, specifically when commanding troops to "uncover." A command typically has two parts to it (though some have up to four), a preparatory command, and a command of execution. The prep allows the people to hear what command is about to be given, and prepare for it. On the command of execution, the movement takes place. Some commands were only one word in some D&C standards, and those words would be used as a preparatory, and the word "TWO" would be used as an execution command.

Now, this is in no way a definitive answer. I have no reference as to an authority on the issue, but this is just what I have gathered from my knowledge of current day commands and how it could have fit in. The theories as to the salute being one, and the return to attention being two could very well be it. Me personally, I use present arms and order arms, as did my troop.(This message has been edited by VigilEagle04)

from NavMac 2691 found here

http://drummajor.net/documents/USMC%20Drill%20and%20Ceremonies%20Manual.pdf

(1) The command is HAND, SALUTE; TWO.

(a) When SALUTE is given, raise your right hand smartly in the

most direct manner until the tip of your forefinger touches

the lower part of the headdress above and slightly right of

your right eye. Your thumb and fingers should be straight

and touch each other. You should be able to see your

entire palm when looking straight ahead. Your upper arm

should be level with the deck and your forearm at a 45-

degree angle. Your wrist and hand should be straight, a

continuation of the line made by your forearm. At the same

time, if not in ranks, turn your head and eyes toward the

person or colors you are saluting.

(b) At the command TWO, return to attention. Move your hand smartly

in the most direct manner back to its normal position by your

side.

© To ensure simultaneous execution of the second movement of the

hand salute when troops are in formation, the preparatory command

READY will be used prior to the command of execution, TWO.

(2) You may salute without command from attention, while walking, or

while seated in a vehicle. When walking, it is not necessary to

halt to salute. Keep walking, but at attention. The salute is

rendered when the person or color to be saluted is 6 paces distant,

or at the nearest point of approach if it is apparent that the

person or color is not going to approach within 6 paces. The salute

will not be rendered if the person (color) to be saluted does not

approach within 30 paces. Hold the first position of the salute

until the person (color) saluted has passed or the salute is

returned, then execute the second movement of the hand salute.

(3) When the command PRESENT, ARMS is given, it not armed, you

execute the hand salute on the command ARMS. Stay at that

position until the command ARMS or ORDER, ARMS is given.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the military command to salute is "present arms". This is clearly stated in a cadence that lets the people in the ranks know what is happening with a preparatory command and an execution command built in. The word "present" is given followed by a full count. Eveyone knows that the next word will be "arms" and that is when you actually salute. If you are actually carrying a rifle there is a prescribed series of steps to bring the rifle to a vertical position in front of you. Thus being in the position of "present arms" is a form of salute

The command to stop saluting is "order arms" in which the prepartory command is "order" and the execution command is "arms". Again, if you are actually carrying a rifle you return the rifle to the position it was in originally; on your shoulder, held with butt resting on ground, etc." Those who are not carrying a rifle simply return to the position of attention.

This notion is difficult to translate into BSA when no one is carrying weapons at all. How the word "two" came to be used I do not know. To me, if one thinks of the command to salute as the first in a sequence of commands for which there is only one possible second command in the sequence, then the word "two" may simply signify the second step.

Also forgot the the Sea Scout Drill Manual found here

http://www.seascout.org/downloads/Program/Drill_manual.pdf

HAND SALUTE: This command is given from the POSITION OF ATTENTION.

On the preparatory command of HAND, prepare to react. On

the command of execution SALUTE, smartly raise your right hand,

keeping the upper arm straight, parallel to the deck, with your

hand flat, palms straight, canted slightly inward, thumb along

the side, fingers straight and joined touching the edge of the

cover. If uncovered, touching the eyebrow or top corner of

eyeglasses. The salute is cut on the command of READY, TWO. On

the command of execution, TWO, snap your arm down, returning to

the POSITION OF ATTENTION.