We have lots of discussion amongst ourselves concerning what is the best way to observe the Twelfth Point of the Scout Oath when out camping with our boys. Interdenominational, non-denominational, or specific to a particular Faith, there is much to consider. And it seems there are variations for whatever side of the fence you come down on.

While participating in a particularly well run (read "Scout run") Scouts Own this past weeekend, God whispered an idea in my ear. Usually I am quite thick headed and he has to get his point across to me in a much less subtle manner. But thankfully, I must have been paying attention the first time Sunday.

In any case, I am thinking of gathering both generic Scouts Own programs and Scouting religious services geared toward particular Faiths or denominations. Programs for both large scale Camporees and small group "on the trail" situations. If I can get enough together, I would like to put them into appropriate sections and form a pamphlet or small book. It would be a resource for those tasked with observation of the Twelfth Point on Scout Outings.

If you have ideas to help me with this endeavor please feel free to share. If you have programs you can share electronically, I would welcome all. If you have only hard copies, perhaps you can PM me and we can work out details of sending them via snail mail.

I think this might be a worthwhile project and I don't recall seeing anything of this nature published nationally. Thanks to all who can contribute.

Ken

Thanks for letting the boys inspire you.

Something I do, since the boys in our troop all have some sort of Christian affiliation, is keep a New Testament and Psalms handy in my pack. (I just got a waterproof one which mysteriously disappeared -- back to the zip-locks!) In advance of the trip I tell the chaplain's aide to think of a verse or a Psalm he would like to be read on Sunday morning. Before we set out after breaking camp, I encourage the boys to circle up and take time for reflection. One boy reads the verse, maybe there's a song, another says a prayer, we go.

It sounds simple, but I think it's quite effective in setting the tone for the rest of the trip. It's enough church for the boys who like church, and it's just different enough from church for the boys who have a hard time sitting still in pews. Plus it helps the aide learn how to be prepared for this sort of thing without having to be wired into a bunch of resources.

Military Chaplains have a variety of resources along these lines. There are small books with readings, meditations, common hymns, etc they have available for leading services in the field. If you have access to a military base or National Guard unit, you should contact them to see if they can give you any of these or at least take a look at them for ideas.

• 1 year later...

Have you seen "The MacScouters Big A Scout is Reverent Resource Book"? It says it is: A Compilation of Resources to Support Preparations for the Scouts Own and to Support Spiritual Growth within the Troop, Compiled by Kyna Hendra, ASM Troop 92. At over 100 pages, it is full of resources like what you're wanting to create. I probably found it at MacScouter / usscouts.org, but I like what it includes.

Can we PLEASEPRETTYPLEASE WITH DUTCH OVEN BROWNIES ON TOP have a seperate "Faith and Chaplaincy" forum????

This ain't Open Discussion.

It ain't Program...

It ain't Issues and Politics....

It is a seperate topic and needs to be recognized as such.

I think.

Those in favor say aye?

(Wait... I'm a Quaker. We don't vote for such things. We seek unity, God's will, agreement, or as they say in corpspeak, "consensus" ).

J-I-KC: How do we contact Scouter Terry?