Presenting the Colors question

Hi, all...

I've got the script and the diagram for how colors are presented, but can someone tell me where the speaker is placed during the whole ceremony?

We'll have two boys carrying the flags (U.S. and den/pack, depending on where we're doing it), and a third doing the speaking. Is that boy on the stage, or with the flag presenters?

Thanks for the input!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm assuming the "speaker" you are referring to is the one giving the color guard commands. It doesn't make any difference where he stands. In our flag ceremony, the PL does the commands and stands with the patrol, but only the two flag bearers move forward and place the colors. He could very well stand between the two flag stands and do the same thing. As long as everyone in the room can hear the commands, it should be okay. There is no prescribed formula for the speaker, only the movement of the flag bearers.

Stosh

If you have a podium on your stage with a microphone, that is where the "caller" should be located. Callers are not part of the Color Guard, or Flag Carriers. Cub Scouts often need amplification in order to be heard especially at Pack meetings.

Our callers also lead the Opening Prayer, Pledge, and whatever else the den has planned to do for it's opening flag ceremony.

At Pack meetings our caller is at the podium, on the US flag's side of the stage. For den meetings, our caller is at the front of the room, to the den's right of the US flag stand.

All of the above are correct. There is no rule about this.

I suggest that you place the person giving the commands where he can not only be heard, but also seen, since the audience will be looking to him for visual cues as well.

The way we "usually" do it is similar to what ScoutNut said:

The speaker will walk to the front of the CO and stand on the raised stage area in front of the altar and give the Cub Scout sign.

Depending on the level of noise or wether people notice the scout holding up the Cub Scout sign. The CM ( myself) or our ACM will shoput "Signs up!"

At that point, the caler will ask the audience to rise for collors, give all commands to the color guard, and lead the pack in reciting the Pledge of Allegience. The caler then dismisses the color guard.

BUT! When we do an outdoor ceremony, and the audience is typically standing around the flag pole in a nearly complete circle, the caller usually positions himself at the back of the color guard , and gives all commands from there. Since there is no raised area and there is no "front" of the audience, the caller stands in an area that the color guard can hear him better. So far, behind them works good.

Like many have said, there is no definitive way. We're not talking a military style, formal color guard, so you really don't have to worry about what regulations say according to FM 22-5 or the like. The U.S. colors remaining in the position of honor is really the only thing to take into consideration for a color guard like this. The rest of the details you can wing.

Like shortridge, I cringe if a unit leader has to say, let alone bark, let alone bellow SIGNS UP! Starting with Cub Scouting, youth and families should be taught when the sign goes up, their sign goes up, their mouth goes silent, they settle down, and pay attention to who is speaking!

I tried to spin this off and I tried to set it up as a new thread and then as a spin-off thread, but the forum wouldn't do either of them today, so my apologies for the diversion.

I know a lot of scouters out there that "cringe" ;) at some adult leader yelling out "Sign's up!" when they give the silent signal of sign's up. I have often thought this rather irksome myself.

I'm thinking I may be the only troop that does not do sign's up. In the three years I have been SM, I have used it maybe once or twice and then only when the scouts are being rude to either myself or the speaker in the room. It's a gesture of last resort.

We are a small troop and maybe if it were bigger it may be different, but I'm thinking not.

The PL calls out "First Call" and the patrol forms up, does a quick inspection of the boys and then goes and places himself where he wants the boys to line up for flags. Then calls out "Fall In". At that point the boys remain silent (or at least should remain silent). While in formation, the talking is at a minimum and discouraged by the PL.

Whenever a speaker is addressing the group, he/she should not have to interrupt the boys and then expect them to not interrupt them while they speak. Courtesy rules the situation. I won't interrupt you and please then don't interrupt me. It has gotten to the point where a speaker when they place themselves in front or at a podium, the boys quickly quiet down without anyone having to do sign's up. Normally if there are boys talking, I will watch them until they are done or the PL hushes them having seen me waiting for them to finish their discussion.

This routine has worked well for our troop and gives the boys an opportunity to focus and show courtesy without having to be reminded all the time. It also places the responsibility on the PL's to lead in their patrols.

Whenever they are in a larger group of other scouts, they are usually the first group to put signs up because they have been taught to be attentive and focused on the activity at hand. I don't think any of my leaders or scouts have had to say sign's up out loud, only put up the sign and wait for others to quiet down.

Whenever the patrol(s) are formed, talking is discouraged by the PL. Whenever someone wishes to address the patrol(s) they signal to the PL's to form up their patrols and then one can properly address the group. If the boys are not in patrol formations, there's no real need for anyone to address the group and expect them to be quiet.

Whenever we are involved in a large group exercise such as camporee flags, the boys form up by patrol(s) and then walk quietly to the ceremony where they stay in formation and keep the talking quiet. The PL is responsible for watching for sign's up from the color guard and maintains order in his patrol having found their location to stand for the flags.

We have found that from "fall in" to "dismissed" the boys are far more attentive and do not rely on the speaker to signal them to quiet down.

A Scout is Courteous shouldn't be something that the boy has to be reminded over and over again like some 4 year old being told to say "thank you" by his parents. A structure or procedure should be developed to allow for this process to happen naturally.

It has taken a while, but it does work. Let the PL's do their job of running a courteous patrol.

Your mileage may vary.

Stosh

When I was a Unit Leader, I had one occasion where a Scout continued talking to his buddies after the speaker started. Politely asked the speaker for a moment, went to the boy and said "Since you consider what you say to be more important than our guest, please get up on the podium and tell everybody." It never happened again.

let me clarify:

Notice, the first I said : "Depending on the level of noise or wether people notice the scout holding up the Cub Scout sign."

let me put emphasis on "DEPENDING" and on "WETHER PEOPLE NOTICE".

THis is at a pack meeting. The start of the meeting to be exact.

Parents are talking to kids and other parents. Kids are talking to other kids and parents. There is noise, and most people are looking at the people they are talking to.

Now, I could expect everybody to c0ome into the CO, go straight to the sanctuary and stare straight at the front of the room in a solomn and muted manner.

But this is the real world. People are talking, enjoying fellowship and having fun. Imagine that!...having a good time.

Now, we could let the Color Guard Caller stand up front for 10, 15, or even 20 minutes waiting until people look forward and notice him....

OR

Myself ( the CM) or the ACM "CAN" say "signs up" in a clear loud voice ...."Depending on the level of noise or wether people notice the scout holding up the Cub Scout sign."

DEPENDING, not always and automatically.

You can also have your den leaders, quietly, with the sign raised, walk into the group, and stand next to the loudest people.

I have tapped chatters on the shoulder, and indicated the raised sign.

Waiting - quietly - until everyone quiets down and raises their own sign is exactly the point.

Trust me, it will not take 10 minutes. And if it does, you DID note they were having a good time, so it's your Pack's choice.

Otherwise you might as well just yell out SHUT THE HECK UP EVERYONE!

With flags starting out 99% of our events where there are large crowds of people milling about, the PL in charge yells out, "Scouts and guest, Attention! Present the colors." I find that in about 100% of the cases, everyone stands up and silences themselves immediately. Sign;s Up! isn't necessary. This way everyone in the room, including parents and guests who don't know what sign's up gesture means, knows that paying attention is appropriate at that point. Obviously it is not necessary that everyone enters the COH room, for example, in somber silence in order to maintain control. Nope, let them talk and socialize, but when the activity starts, the flag ceremony will let them know things are about to begin.

Again, I find very few instances inside the troop where sign's up is even necessary.

Stosh