New Committee Chair Person

ScoutNut and shortridge,

I think the possibility of a less than favorable resolution here is pretty good. As we've learned, sometimes the very hard way, friendly cups of coffee and quiet businesslike conversations work. I'll be looking to my East for a big explosion.

He says he went to council and they said "He can skip wolf".

Perhaps they didn't get the full story? They might have presumed that he was talking about an older boy and he presumed they knew the full details of what he was talking about.

Ask around. Don't take the guy's word for a conversation like that, take the other person out to lunch or something and chat with them yourself, kindly. :)

this is just someone asking because they don't know.

You stated earlier the rank is based on the grade or the age. could this boy have had the grade to be in wolf and the age to be in bear, and therefore be in wolf due to grade but blow through it during the summer and now be able to move up to bear due to age.. (or vica versa - be wolf due to age, but qualify for bear due to grade)??

Just asking if there is a way that the CC could be right so that this person doesn't go to the DE or UC insisting the CC is bending the rules and end up with egg on their face.

I was a Committee Chair of a Troop, and pointed out to some of the other adult leaders that they were very wrong with one particular issue, and that was having our all-female Venture Crew tag along with the Troop on every outing. I can go on forever about how many problems this creates, but it's for another thread. Since it was becoming contentious and personal, and was threatening to "fracture" the adult leadership (to use the Scoutmaster's term), I resigned before things got really nasty.

Our COR is basically a non-entity and has made it clear that he has complete faith in the adult leadership (the ASM's are two of the girl's fathers) and he doesn't want to get involved in any issues. The problem adults and he are also close in the church that sponsors us, so that was a blind alley. After I resigned, I had a long chat with our Unit Commissioner, who in turn advised the DE. These adults were counseled, but that's about the extent of it. I might be right, but I'll have to be right somewhere else.

I guess the bottom line is to say t hat you should take the path of least resistance. Either convince your CC to resign, or you and your son should leave the Pack for greener pastures. It may be better for you and your son to not engage a moron like this, and simply move on. It's ultimately about the kids, not the adults.

You have an interesting situation, but it may be simpler than it is all made out to be.

You have a CC who has taken it upon himself to do his own thing. Fine, whatever....So his boy is a Bear in a Den of boys that are older than him. What is the CC/Dad going to do?? Make him a Web II next year?? Obviously not. The Dad is obviously full of himself, and will likely not change. After all...who goes to Council to have their boy skip a Cub Scout grade? Seriously...this is Cub Scouts.

Don't let this upset you more than the boys. If the situation is not working for you, and the CM/COR/IH are unwilling to address it, then move on to a better program. If your boy is just as upset, then move him too.

You have never told us what your role is in the Pack. Is the CM or the CC trained?

I am not saying that you are wrong. The CC is wrong. But this seems a bit "warlike" and not about the boys.

I call BS on him going to council about skipping a Rank. The man is a blow hard who let his position go to his head.

The CM really doesn't have anything to say about the CC it is up to the COR and IH to remove him. He sounds like a jerk, living vicariously thru his son.

I bet if you pushed his son a bit, I bet he doesn't have the skills.

Besides, who is actually suffering from this folly, his son.