2013 -- 100 years of LDS involvement in Scouting -- anything going to happen?

What does it matter, we're never going to get to 2013 anyway. The whole world ends in 2012, right? Or else that Large Hadron Collider will create a tiny black hole that swallows everything even before then.

Have a nice day. ;)

This has absolutely nothing to do with the LDS church, but who cares?

I'm about centennialed out. There's another thread open from a reporter doing a story on the centennial of Boys' Life. I know the OA has plans for it's centennial. Are we going to spend the next hundred years celebrating everything that happend the past hundred years?

I can't really say any of this centennial celebration has had much impact at the unit level. Several of my Scouts have earned the historic merit badges and I have a couple guys clammoring to earn ranks in order to get the centennial badges, but that's about it.

A big PR opportunity for national, but I've not seen a lot of impact on the ground.

Well, I'm kind of centennialled out, too. If the Methodists want to celebrate the 100th Anniversary of the first Methodist troop, more power to them, likewise for any other denomination. But actually, the following idea isn't half bad:

"Are we going to spend the next hundred years celebrating everything that happend the past hundred years? "

Now, for some reason, we haven't yet started receiving our copies of Boys Life and Scouting (I suspect our registration is sitting on someone's desk after we changed packs). So maybe they're already doing something like this. But I would find it interesting if they had a regular feature along the lines of "100 Years Ago This Month", which could be a reprint of an old article from that issue. My Tiger Cub loves looking at his reprint of the 1895 Wards catalog, and I think a lot of kids would really enjoy something like that.

• 1 year later...

In the Southern Region we are planning a 100 year celebration Jamboree. Some basic information can be found at this site http://www.lds100jamboree.org We will soon have our schedule of events and information up. We are also starting to accept early registration. If you are planning an event in your area, we will gladly share information and help in any way necessary to make this event a once in a lifetime event.

I too can see LDS celebrating after all at that point it is celebration of THEIR youth organization.. But I do not see it as a full out BSA celebration.. Sort of like a troop will personnally celebrate their centenial, or OA may celebrate, but it will only include all OA members with some sort of campout or special OA pin or pocket flap..

I think someone in our area is thinking of doing something, but has yet to decide if it will be big over a region or larger, or small just for their stake..

Since the Methodists and other groups started in 1910, thus marking their centennial in 2010, and Irving didn't do anything special for them, I would hope that nothing is planned for the LDS Church.

As Austinole said, good for the church, but it should plan its own celebration. BSA should definitely NOT be singling out one religious group over another.

Perhaps Irving didn't do anything with the Methodists in 2010 because the Methodists didn't care enough to bother doing anything for it? My dad's red wool jacket has a big "75 years of LDS Scouting - Scoutmaster" patch on the back. The patch features a big Baden-Powell portrait. I wonder if any similar patches will be made by anyone for the 100th anniversary.

As to whether we'll keep celebrating the past 100 years for the next 100 years, well, why not? As Clemlaw pointed out, that's not so unusual for other organizations. Popular Science magazine, for instance, has a similar feature in every issue.

Well, then you guys can pay for those patches. My money shouldn't be going towards it. I would say the same thing to the Methodists or the Elks. If your CO wants a celebration, it should organize it itself. Deal?

Yeap! Those Mayans are gona come back and get us all anyways come Decemebr! :)

hey, didn't they crank up the Hadron Collider already and give it a test run? It is scary when even those who created it say that they really are not sure what will happen!

Yeah,

A national move to celebrate LDS 100 years, that would be the tail wagging the dog for sure... but since the tail wags the dog a LOT in this organization, I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen.

The patch could have been commissioned by the LDS not National. Anyone can do a patch, OA does patches, everyone does patches for their camporees, we have people creating special award patches etc..

Of course 25 years ago you could put anything on your red jacket, now there are only official patches that should go on it, either that or you have to except being chewed up by the uniform police.