I live in an urban area. We have alot of boys interested and in need of all of the positive things we Scouters have to offer. Problem is, not enough adult Scouters.

I am trying to see if this is just a larger city problem or does it hold true everywhere? I am a Cubmaster with my own Pack, a Scoutmaster with my own Troop. I also run Webelos in another group that only has 2 adults for leaders.

The funny thing is, I spend alot of time with my family. The Pack I am a Den Leader im, I am there anyway because my son is the Bear Den Chief (I don't want to be the Den Leader in his Den). My Pack and Troop meet the same nightWith a half overlay, the Pack meets 7-8 and the Troop meets 630 to 730, it's in the same building just different classrooms on the same floor. It would be really taxing but I have great leaders that make it possible. The problem is, they dont mind be Den Leaders, Committee people and ASM / CAnobody wishes to be in charge.

Guess it depends on your location ...

The pack that I service was having problems getting new parents involved. Now, a great deal of this was due to the new CM, who always approached every problem as "the sky is falling."

Since I was already scheduled to teach YPT for the Troop I service (and a neighboring Pack that does not have a UC) I asked the DE to go over and see if he could lend a hand. He's excellent at being "positive" and has a great way with folks.

His report back (via text message) "All Den Leaders covered, and 5-6 Committee Members to boot."

So, all-in-all, a successful night. 16 adults received YPT, and the Pack is back up to full strength.

ScoutMythBuster writes:

I live in an urban area. We have alot of boys interested and in need of all of the positive things we Scouters have to offer. Problem is, not enough adult Scouters.

When I was SM of an urban Troop in the north, I sometimes had the same problem with monthly "all the positive things we have to offer" campouts.

High Adventure outings such as canoe trips and backpacking (what the rest of the Scouting world calls "Expeditions"), tended to attract experienced adults who wanted nothing to do with the regular monthly campouts (what the rest of the world calls "static camping").

Now here in the rural south, I live a couple blocks from the District's largest Troop. We have plenty of ASM's for monthly static camping, plus a few additional dads who only turn out for Expeditions (a new thing for this Troop), and regular monthly SCUBA outings (a new thing for me).

So rather than thinking of Scouting as values ("all of the positive things we Scouters have to offer"), you might pick up a couple of adults for specific Expeditions if you think in terms of Scouting as different kinds of outings.

That ad hoc approach was how Rovers worked: A series of short-term commitments.

Yours at 300 feet,

Kudu

SMB,

A little bit of advice from someone who was once in your shoes, as well as seeing what happens when someone with many hats backs out of scouting: START RECRUITING REPLACEMENTS NOW! (caps for emphasis)

When I was a DE, my district committee members served in multiple roles,a nd the district overall was suffering. We still have people doign 2-3 jobs, but it isn't as bad. Trust me having one person focus on one job is a lot better for scouting than one person doing 3-5 jobs. it hurts scouting b/c you cannot focus on one objective to provide the best quality program, and it can hurt family life.

Secondly what would happen to Scouting in your area if soemthing was to happen to you? My district is now dealing with this as we had a family, esp the husband, who were super involved in Scouting on the district and council level: Webeloree Chief, OA Associate Advisor, Popcorn Kernal, WB staffer, Summer camp staffer, IOLS trainer, camporee staff, ad nauseum. When they unexpectedly left scouting due to a family emergency, a lot of positions were left vacant and we are scrambling to get the vacancies filled. Camporee in 3 weeks will be intersting, and Popcorn sales have been "intersting."

On a local troop level, one thing you can do to help ease any changes in adult leadership would be to truly use the Patrol Method and let your SPL, PLs, and other youth leaders run things in toto. When a new SM was installed after the old one retired after 25 years, the transition was smooth b/c the SPL, LC, and PLs were running things. Nobody really noticed the transition b/c it was business as usual.

Well, a few years ago I took over a Pack where besides me was the CC and CM. They did everything for almost 30 years. When became CM, I did recruit and managed to get a committee, DL, ADL as well as 2 ACM. Later that year I started the Troop. with 5 boys and 2 ASM. Also started a Committee. So, I do have people in my direct groups as back ups. The group I started helping in as the CA/Webelos DL now has a Wolf DL, and I am training a Bear DL. That group I am helping reestablish themselves. See, I take 2 boys there as DC. Since I dont want to drive home and turn around and come right back I started helping to pass the time. Again, this is a short time gig as I help them get back where they need to be. There are so many Packs and Troops fighting for numbers and territories people forget that it is about the kids. Since the 2 Packs I work with are within a half a mile of each other I convinced my DE that our territorial lines are the nights we meet. At first the other group fought the idea but when both groups saw record number of new scouts they saw my intentions.

And a Family Run District is a bad thing. That is what we are going through in my District. We are getting people who are younger and fairly new to scouting (under 10 years). Sometimes you just have to clean house ...

SMB,

You're so danged busy you may not want to hear it, but recommend doing a little bit more to pull your leadership team(s) together. Invite them and families over to your house for a Sunday afternoon BBQ. Invite others who you would like to get more involved. Not as an overt sales pitch - just social. Of course, with your ties in scouting, much of the conversation will drift there. With friendships come more volunteers.

Good luck!

You really need to get more people involved. If, God forbid, something should happen to you, the whole Scouting program will die. Don't put Scouting in that position, train up other people and delegate enough responsibility that they can learn what will be necessary to do if you get in an accident or retire or whatever.

The leaders I have are all friends, the problem was the previous leadership left such a bad impression on so many levels people are afraid to step in. I have my 2 ASM/ CA and slowly they are becoming more comfortable to take the lead. I feel, at times, thye are trigger shy and don't want to make a decission. Last year, in the beginnig I was a control freak. I inherited a Pack with 3 kids and a Troop with 4 (see my problem). No trained adults, including me.Between June and August, I recruited and arranged trainings. By Septemeber we had a fully trained leadership. By October, the Pack was at 21, the Troop at 5. I planned everything, and did about 95% of the work. My Treasure/ Scribe along with the CC handles 85% of all my paperwork now, I just approve things and I am teaching the Assistants what to do. My Den Leaders are now doing their own Den Plans and discussing the at our Leader's meetings. This year, I am actually able to float and observe each Patrol and Den during the meetings. Last year was very stressful, so far this year I feel liberated.

We had 3 Packs in our area with very low memberships and no Troops a year ago. In a year, we have the 3rd largest Pack and the 4th largest Troop in our District. We are the Pack and Troop with 100% Trained Leadership. I have great Leaders now, that really do not need much more than a coordinator and some guidenance hear and there.

So, I know it sounds like I am overwhelmed but I'm not. I have a great support system and as a group we are starting to reach out and help some of the other shrinking packs in our area.

Sounds like you need to become a crew advisor just to balance it all out! (jk)

There will come a point where one of your units could benefit from one of those trained leaders stepping to the fore. They've seen your example, give them a chance to follow it in a year or so.

This situation is not unique to urban areas. We all wind up wearing multiple hats. The challenge is to make sure they are the ones that suit our gifts and talents.

I don't like "Eagle mills", but the notion of "Scouter mills" appeals to me.