Norton Showing Site As UNSAFE

Norton is red tagging the site for 3 malicious items they say may or do exist. You can check directly if you have Norton I guess. According to the description, they are redirect programs that end up looking like you are going to ASK.com, but are really opening the computer up to serious problems.

Please review this ASAP. Meanwhile, maybe I will not read or post for a bit.

Yah, none of those screening programs is worth a darn, IMHO.

If it bothers yeh, just don't click on any of the advertisements and you'll be fine. Or use a better browser than Microsoft's. Like all banner ads, da ones here are redirects and scouter Terry doesn't have any direct control over 'em . It's possible one has expired.

More likely Norton just didn't update their database after Ask.com changed da IP address of some of their servers.

B

"Yah, none of those screening programs is worth a darn, IMHO. "

Truer words...

Just stay away from the ads if you are unsure about anything. The site itself is safe.

Funny thing is, I get more calls from my clients infected with viruses who thought they were safe because they run these programs than from those who don't run them and just use smart practices.(This message has been edited by nolesrule)

Is there a way that Terry himself can address the list on this subject?

While those who have answered the concern mean well, none as far I know, have first hand knowledge of this site or what may or may not be wrong. Just voicing their opinions.

So, Terry, What is the deal here? Can you do something that will belay the fears of the folks at Norton and a number of list members please?

At the very least address the problem at hand.

"If it bothers yeh, just don't click on any of the advertisements and you'll be fine. Or use a better browser than Microsoft's. Like all banner ads, da ones here are redirects and scouter Terry doesn't have any direct control over 'em . It's possible one has expired."

I use Firefox as my browser with the Adblock Plus add-on so all of those banner ads and redirects are blocked, Beav. Yet, Norton still marks Scouter as unsafe on my PC, too. Maybe it really is a problem.

UCEagle72, me too. I have McAfee and FF. No problems. GChrome no problems. I don't even see the ads mentioned here. Nothing pops up or falls out or squishes through.

I have no idea what's going on with the others.

Edited to add: The university has a very aggressive filter that checks everything (for good reason). So far I have never seen it flag anything from scouter.com, even the spam email notices when people reply to threads.(This message has been edited by packsaddle)

All I was looking for was for Terry himself, or someone else in authority over this web site to confirm that:

1. He was aware of this issue.

2. Either he was addressing the problem or that there was no problem at all, or there is an problem, but here is what to do to avoid this problem.

Everyone can voice their opinion as to how good the software is or is not. But the fact of the mater is that no one so far from the web site has stood up and addressed this issue.

So, Terry are you out there?