What do you do with the ribbons?

I found SSScout's idea of putting them on a display panel to be a nice idea for a pack. Our troop started stringing them on a coup stick after getting tired of the tangled mess on the flag pole.

The troop is only 16 years old with about a 100 ribbons (a number have been lost over the years). I can't imagine what the veteran units do with 100s of the things.

Maybe your "coup stick" is what we call our "brag flag". My husband used a flagpole stick, bought two of those tops that are for tieing ribbons onto the flag, and that holds alot of ribbons (maybe about 75 - 100 ribbons per. one of the tops he put on the top. One he figured how to put lower down, Then lower down then that he screwed in eye hooks and the eye hooks will each hold several ribbons a peice.

They also have a ribbon holder top on the troop flag pole too, for our newest ribbons. Our troops been around since the 1940's we have ALOT of ribbons!!! The old ones our neat for troop history, so we never want to throw any out.

Since we don't have a lodge of our own to display our 35 years of Ribbons, they are tied to the top of the troop flag pole. I need to get a couple fo the ribbon ring holders whatever you call them to put on top to hang them correctly.

Thanks for the ideas though..

If you want to save the ribbons for history/acknowledgement/bragging rights/oo-aahing, you need to get them OFF the flag pole. It only makes the pole top heavy and hard for younger Scouts to carry with 40 years(!) of camporee ribbons tied 'round the finial, and they will only degrade and fade and fall off. And how can you read the record if it's 8 feet up and bunched up like that?

Take them off, Leave the last two or three years worth on if you want. Take the ribbons, wipe them with a DRY cloth (dampness may run the old colors), iron them out flat on a COOL setting(rayon doesn't take kindly to a hot iron) face down (don't want to melt the colors), and press them between some cardboard until you can mount them permanently. If you are not "archival" concerned, get carpet double stick tape and the folding display boards from Office Depot or your local Dollar store. If you really want to go the preservation route, check with your local scrapbook person/store and get acid free tape and display board. Organize it by year, type, Scoutmaster, however you want. Write Scouts names alongside the appropriate ribbon, if anyone can remember...