BSA Archery Range and BB Range

To help on BSA Archery Range or BB range with cub scouts during a Cub Scout event, what are the requirements for a scout to help? A where can I find the guide line for the required training for them to do so? I have been told that it is ok for a Scout to help on ether ranges. But I have been unable to find any requirements for the training of neither the Scout nor the rule showing that it is ok for them to do so.

There is a CS Shooting sports book out there.Be advised that it is one of those hard to get items as they only want certified folk using it. Sometimes you get folks who want to do shooting sports on the den and pack level, and that is not permitted.

I don't know is using older Scouts and Venturers is in the book or not, but I've seen the practice of older guys ASSISTING ( caps for emphasis) the certified adults done at summer camps and at day camps in the past. My CSDC used an older scout to assist the 2 certified folks running our BB gun range. He asssisted by passing out targets, grading targets, keeping the scouts occupied while waiting their turn, and, when needed, assisted scouts on the firing line.

Also for the past two years we had an older scout assisting his parents on either the BB gun range or Archery range, depending upon where his certified parents were working. Again he helped set up and take down the range, worked with the kids while they waited, etc.

Me peronally the more eyes and help on the range, the safer it is.

My copy of the shooting sports book is packed away with the other camp school stuff, but I can tell you there is nothing in there about Boy Scout assistants.

There are requrement for certified range safety officers, however it is the RSO's call as to who they want helping them.

Hi T&S, welcome to the forums.

I've had good results in having Scouts assisting at the BB and archery ranges at CS Day Camp. They're usually the activities that are sought after by the scouts on staff. When I was camp director, I had the RSO interview and select his assistants. Some of the best results cam from a few guys who had been to summer camp a couple of weeks prior and completed some of the shooting merit badges. As a result, our ranges were managed very well by those guys.

-R

Thanks guys for your input. I am a NRA RSO I was just asked this question. An I did not have a answer for the person. So it seem that there are not any National BSA rules about using scouts to help on ether area. So it would be up to the districts Shooting sport director to set the rule for his district. Am I correct in my understanding?

I suppose the district could implement it's own policies, but until they do, the RSO on duty -- the guy there, boots on the ground, running the range -- who decides who he wants to help him.

Maybe I'm getting old and cranky, but if I'm the National Camp School certified camp director and have a certified RSO running my shooting program and we're meeting all national accreditation and shooting sports standards, then I'm going to have a hard time with someone from the district coming in and telling us who we can and can't have assisting on the range.

But maybe I'm getting old and cranky.

2Cub,

In the situations I've been in, it's either A) the CSDC shooting sports folks who are running the events for the district or B) the Summer camp shooting sports running the event. So i don't think you would be upset with yourself, would ya ;)

Seriously though, the RSO folks are the ones in charge on the range. period, end of discussion. What they want, they get, as long as it meets guidelines. Heck I'm the NCS certified PD, and I am also certified to run shooting sports for another year too, and do not interfere with the shooting sports folks unless absolutely necessary.

Yeah, that was my point. If the day camp folks are running the event and have a proper RSO on the range, I'm not going to be too receptive of some muckety-muck from the council or district creating rules and trying to tell my RSO how to run his range.

Good points. I showed the parent youll answers. But then she asked me the following. But would it not be better if all RSOs run the ranges the same way every time. She said has have seen one RSO run his range one way and another RSO run his range another. Both ranges where run well within all range guidelines. But would it not better if everyone worked with the same set of guide lines? Would it not be better if everyone was trained the same way every time? Would it not make it easier for a new parent going threw archery or bb gun training to able to work with any RSOs. By standardizing each training program guide lines, by doing so this would be done. Also by doing this would it not make it safer for the events,by having everyone on the same page? How could anyone object to that.

She has a couple of good points. I give her my opinion. Now I look forward to yours.

Actually training is pretty standardized not only in the USA, but also in other countries. I did shooting sports in 2 different councils, and in the UK. Only differneces had been local laws (UK is much stricter, and the safety brief I did (had to use some Brit stats in the safety brief) As to why rifle ranges may be run a little differently from place to place, two biggest reasons off the top of my head are 1) not every range is identical and 2)not every district has the same manpower resources.

For 1 I mean that some camps have established and maintained ranges with beams, firing stations, equipment lockers, etc. But then you got day camps that have to create temporary range with stakes and tentpoles, cardboard mats, and canvas backdrop. While there may be differences in ranges appearances, there are many similarities due to standardization by national. And that standardization deals with the most import thing in shooting sports: SAFETY. There is a an entire book on CS shooting sports, and NCS certified folks receive at least a 5" binder of info from NCS. They may receive more stuff as well as i beleive NCS dual certs you for BSA and NRA, but talk to a NCS Shooting Sports director for that.

For #2 manpower can be a problem. I'ld love to have 4 adults in Archery and 4 in BB guns during day camp who are there the entire time. But I was lucky to get just 2 in each area, and older scouts who have shooting expereince, and were trained by the folks in running the area ( or in one case trained by the guy running the area last year). Finding enough trained folks can be difficult. Luckilyonly one certified person per so many folks is needed, and he can have assistants to help him. While I would love to have a 1:1 staff to shooter ratio it's just not possible.

Why would I like one to one? For me one aspect of safety is having as many people focused on keeping the range safe as possible. I've found "personal coaches," folks beside each shooter, giving advice and making sure the shooter is safe. That's why I like council family camps wiht ranges: parents/guardians serve as the " personal coach." but in a day camp setting, not possible in my situation.

Again the emphasis with shooting sports training is SAFETY! There are standard procedures that must be followed. They give you guidelines on building a temporary range, again with the emphasis on tSAFETY. But the training acknowledges that not every facility will have the same resources, bot facility and manpower.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there.

Youth can assist in the safety area on the range. They can explain safety rules and they can work with them on merit badge or belt loop requirements.

They cannot run the range or direct the firing line. Only trained range officers 18 or older can run the Archery firing line.

Mike Warriner

BSA Shooting Sports Director

USA Archery Instructor

NRA Rifle/Shotgun/Black Powder Instructor