Real Rules vs Traditions

I like Short's apporach: SM having a sitdown prior to the election and talkignit over with those interested. BUT i like the idea of the current SPL doing the talking ;)

That said, the way it was done growing up was that folks interested would already be asking opinions, talking to the SPL or members of the LC who had been SPL, and getting their feedback. I know of instances where great scouts declined to run b/c they knew going into the elections that they could not fullfill the responsibilities due to time constraints.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RE: Den Chief must be first class...

I must be the source of this urban legend. But I never tell anyone that it is a BSA policy. I am the cubmaster, and I will not approve any boy who is not first class as a den chief.

Frankly, though, I really don't want a first class scout, either. I prefer the den chief be an eagle scout, quartermaster, or ranger. If they are in OA and have gone through YLT, that's who I want. The more Boy Scout I can get, the better.

11 year old tenderfoot scouts do not make good den chiefs. They are just big cub scouts and their service is usually of little use to the den leader. Serving the den leader and helping them find a boy scout to assist them and guide cub scouts is my job. Providing Jimmy with a den chief cord is not my job.

The den chief position is a huge deal in a pack. When staffed with a really strong scout, like someone who used to be the SPL of his troop and is too young to be an ASM, it turns arts and crafts dens into hiking, camping, knot tying scouting dens.

BSA,

nope you are nto the source of this legend, it is very wide spread. just google "den chief requirements" and you can see that anythign from troop websites to unofficial sites liek macscouter.com have First Class as a requirement.

Oh and WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!

BSA24,

I disagree that an 11-yr old Tenderfoot isn't a help as a den chief. Admittedly, the only den chief I've ever had is the above, he was a help, especially when working on the Scout Oath and Scout Law. He was also helpful in teaching knots, as he had just learned them himself as part of working on First Class (and below). An 11-yr old Tenderfoot Den Chief is better than no Den Chief at all, but probably not as good as a 15 yr old Star Scout.

My advice with 11 and 12yos is to put them with a Wolf Den. We got a 13yo Star who is the size of a Webelos still, and he is haveing some "challenges" getting the respect of the older Cubs. Heck he was having some difficulty with some of the Wolves, and TCs ( don't ask), until he started showing his camp gear and talking about camping tricks to be comfortable for an upcoming trip. that impressed them. Now a few are following him around like puppies.

My only real concern with him is his confidence in teaching. I've seen him in action and he knows his scoutcraft. As I told him and his SM/dad I would have no problem going on a backcountry trip with him and him having to take care of me during an emegency. But he definately needs to work on his teaching skills. Then again I did know that when I asked for him, and one of my goals is to work with him on that.

Kudu may hate me for this,but here it goes: I think I will go ever EDGE with him and show him how it can be used to teach younger scouts outdoor skills. IMHO, all EDGE is the latest incarnation of the old TELL, SHOW, DO of when I was a scout.

I think I will go ever EDGE with him and show him how it can be used to teach younger scouts outdoor skills.

Yah, yeh might want to think about that a bit, Eagle92.

For a shy kid who doesn't have a lot of physical presence, that sort of approach isn't always comfortable or successful. Standing out in front as the explainer and demonstrator might not be da right way to go for a lad who isn't comfortable with that. As Eagledad describes, younger fellows often aren't.

I would instead build off the fellow's strengths, eh? He's got good knowledge and can work well when he's doing stuff, so Id do something like set the webelos a challenge and then have your fellow coach and give hints and such. More one on one, one on two type of stuff where his shyness won't matter as much. And more active, where his explanations won't matter as much.

Beavah