Real Rules vs Traditions

I have recently taken a District Position as a Training Chair after causing much trouble over the real rules vs traditions.

Traditions, after being followed for long a time become "rules" and "requirements". It starts as little things, a Scoutmaster adds a requirement; a Merit Badge Counselor modifies the course to better suit the counselor. A rule is created to limit the number of people that need to take a training course. Whatever the reason, it is wrong.

A heated debate arose in my council when I unveiled the deception behind the Den Chief Requirements, a Scout must be First Class. Once it was uncovered it went from a Requirement to a Recommendation. Once I researched the requirements I found out the actual requirements were just an older scout, chosen by the Scoutmaster, approved by the Cubmaster and the Committe. Simple, direct and no need to complicate it.

I am just seeing what others think about this and what experiences people have had.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I'm only in Cubs, not BOY scouts, but I'm thinking youn should write a book.

Call it "Scouting dummies guide to the real rules" or "BSA Mythbusters" ..etc.

First state the myth, then the truth and how it got skewered.

You will probably retire with million$ in about 2 years!

I usually find this when people go by what someone told them, instead of actually picking up the book, manual, whathaveyou. Some people seem to encourage this attitude by NOT emphasizing actually reading the manuals, or keeping people ignorant that such manuals even exist. Me, I prefer to make sure people are aware that such works exist and that they should get them and read them. (things like the insignia guide, advancement guide, training guide, etc).

Since we are in uniforms, I get sick of see people wear stuff they shouldn't or in the wrong place because someone told them this.

Two examples are all the people wearing the World Conservation Award either in place of or next to the World Crest. I've heard all kind of excuses for this. A common one is 'my scoutmaster told me to wear it here', usually with a claim that he got a letter from National telling him it goes there.

Another is I was talking with a young ASM and was puzzled that he was wearing a JASM patch. Come to find that his troop thinks a 18-21 ASM is a "JASM", instead of a full ASM.

I spent a number of years in the Armed Forces, and I have the BSA uniform book. I hate it when people do stuff like you mentioned. We have uniform regulations for a reason. Baden Powell states if you show me a poorly uniformed Scout I will show you a poorly uniformed leader. (I think I got that right). If the leaders don't abide by the standards the boys can't and won't.

Saw a new den leader tonight with his den leader patch sewn on his left shirt pocket.

Saw a cub scout today with a temporary patch sewn on his right sleeve, underneath his den number.

I've also seen a boy with his bobcat badge sewn under his den number, and a boy with his pack number above his council strip.

Makes me wonder how people can sew those things on SO wrong...

4) - They don't ask because somewhere along the way, some self appointed condesending rule nazi jumped down their throat for not automatically knowing what to do, what the correct reg was, (or in most cases) HOW the uniform should properly be worn !!

Yes, I think we should do things the right way with regards to uniform and requirements. However, I still see far too many adults in scouting that need to remind THEMSLEVES of the the 4th and 6th points of the Scout Law when offering advice and corrections to often well meaning but misinformed neewbies in units.

The surest way to make people spot asking questions is to make them feel stupid when they asked their first one.

Gee I must really be old because I remember when Scout Shops and Distributors gave out a copy of the uniform inspection guide sheet when a new uniform shirt was purchased. You know, the one that when you hold it up to the sleeve it shows where things go. Isn't the same sort of diagram on the inside cover of the handbooks anymore? Just a question from someone who tries to give new parents the correct starting point.

Usually the uniform Nazi is also the person who enforces urban legend rules, ei Den Chief must be first class. They lack tack and really should not be workig with kids. And if you look closely they have non uniform items on their uniform. As with buying new uniforms, I go to a variety of uniform shops and not one of them know what to give the boys in regards to uniforms. The inspection sheets are useful, when you can get them and most people do not realize that a mini uniform guide is in every handbook.

Gee I must really be old because I remember when Scout Shops and Distributors gave out a copy of the uniform inspection guide sheet when a new uniform shirt was purchased.

Yup! Still have a bunch of them! Use to give them out to new parents!

Lets hope the folks with the patches "sewn" on actually sewed them on instead of Badge Magic! I do sympathize for people using Badge Magic though, it took me 3 hours to get my CSP and three pack numerals sewn on straight and correct (and had to deal with making it look in line with the epaulet and sleeve pocket!). Obviously sewing isn't my strong suit.

And I made sure one of the first things I gave my cub's parents was the uniform inspection sheet. There's a few cubs and scouters in my pack with patches in very wrong places but it isn't my place nor style to be the patch police. Cubs is about FUN, not regulations, still though I wanted my families to get it right the first time.(This message has been edited by Miquin1978)

Actually there is a group over on MyScouting.org on Scouting urban legends. not bad, but there was some debates over there.

One thing to remember is that councils can be more restrictive. For example my council does not want sheath knives on council properties. Also local laws can be more restrictive, i.e. for the PWC pilot program my council is running, you need to be 14 and go through a safety course prior to getting on a jet ski. grant you we do the course onsite if memory serves.

Now in reference to uniforming....

I've been called a member of the Uniform Police, in fact a bunch of the '...You might be a member of the Uniform Police" thread was written by me and realated to things I have done (got to find out how to do a blushing smiley). The key I've found to correcting uniforms is to be polite, and show them where the resources are to find the correct uniforming info. Sometimes, like the religious awards and Sumemr time pins, it's easy to fix. Sometimes a little cutting and sewing is invovled.

EDITED: Forgot to add the following: WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!!!!!! (and yes I am screaming ;) )(This message has been edited by eagle92)