Taking a guest to weekend camp

I'm sure that this has been discussed before on the forums, but I will bring it up again.

Can a boy who is just visiting a troop go on a weekend camp while not a member of the BSA?

Here is an example - a boy visits the troop to see if he wants to join that troop. The troop has a weekend camp coming up at the end of the week. Is the visitor allowed to go to camp with the troop? Or does he first have to join the unit?

I don't know the official BSA answer, how ever, we never miss a chance at this. I hand him an app to fill out "just for the files, Not that you are joining now or anything like that, but we need it for your address and such".

I like to set the hook as soon as I can and I'm not into catch and release.

Edit to fix minor typo.(This message has been edited by Wingnut)

Yah, it's just fine,eh?

Just make sure yeh cover the safety bases - swim checks for water activities, health and medical form and permission slip, appropriate skill training for technical activities. Sometimes the older 7th and 8th grade boys bring a guest and da guest naturally wants to keep up with them, but doesn't have their experience. Remember to treat the guests like a new scout in terms of skills and safety planning, no matter what their age.

Beavah

• 4 months later...

Beav makes a good point. Getting the medical form and release signed in time for a weekend trip might be tought. What we recommend is the prospect come, and bring a parent. The parent is responsible for the child, and we get to tell both about our program, our history, and plan for the year. We want to set the hook for both, because we need both to make the troop run as it should. Scouting done best is scouting done as a family.