Den Chief application

I am receiving conflicting information regarding the application for den chief. I received den Chief applications during our council den chief training program. I've used those (without making copies, oops)I am in the process of signing on 2 new den chiefs, and need more applications. I can find no applications for den chief on line and my council has run out temporarily. Here is where the conflict comes in. I'm told an application is not required. Is this true? How do others handle this?

Never heard of a den chief application. Now the DC must be a registered Scout, Sea Scout, or Venturer, yep Sea Scouts and Venturers can serve as DCs until 21 or they can be an ADL, AWDL, or ACM at 18, so that is the only app I know about for them.

Our council requires one. According to some within the council. Paper trail they say. I just wanted to see what others are doing. We as a Troop have always required one as well. We have just never run out of them. Now it's come to our attention. Should we continue? Just seeing what others are doing.

There is no BSA National requirement for any kind of Den Chief application. This must be a local thing from your council.

I must say that I do not understand it. Who approves the application? Does it go to the council offices?

Den Chief is a Position of Responsibility in a Boy Scout Troop. A Den Chief is selected by the Troop's Senior Patrol Leader, and Scoutmaster (or Varsity Coach, Venturing Advisor), at the request of the Pack.

Do you require some kind of application for every Troop, Team, and Crew, POR?

As I stated, I really don't see the point.

Unless you've heard it directly from someone who works at Council, and can provide you with a Council printed application, don't believe that the Council is requiring an application for Den Chief. I find it hard to believe that a Council would micromanage and interfere with a Troop's program in such a manner. It sounds like another scouting myth to me.

Edited to add: Oh, and Welcome to the Forum!

And frankly, if the Council did require one, I'd ignore the "requirement" and tell the Council to go pound dirt unless they can offer a compelling reason why they need an application for a Troop POR and can answer why they don't require one for SPL, or Scribe, or PL, etc.

The Den Chief position is a POR. Like all other POR's that are not elected, the Den Chief is appointed by the SPL, with advice from the Scoutmaster. What possible reason would an SPL need an application from a Scout that he should know already, and at least be friendly with, if not friends with? I can't think of a single reason unless the Troop Committee or adult Program Staff (SM & ASM's) are management theory crazy.

The process should be pretty simple - a Den, through it's Pack, requests a Den Chief. The SPL identifies a Scout to serve as a Den Chief. The SPL and/or SM presents their approved Den Chief candidate to the Den Leader and Cubmaster to ensure a good fit. Then viola, it's done. (Alternatively, you may have a Scout that wishes to serve as a Den Chief that the SPL thinks would make a good Den Chief, and you search for a Pack with a Den that would accept a Den Chief).

(This message has been edited by calicopenn)

no app required here either.

My son was a DC for years and no app. I had a DC for 2 never heard of such a thing

Compiled a book of activities for DC and this is the first mention of this I have heard in 9 years of being an adult in scouting.

Call a neighboring council and ask a DE for the application.

• 2 weeks later...