Using older Scout literature in your program

• 2 months later...

Huhu,

got today

Boy Scouts of America: Explorer Manual (1950 printing)

and

Boy Scout Handbook (1961 printing)

Both look like great ressources and I think they will improve my work as an ASM and member of our regional Training Team.

Does anyone use this books?

Two weeks ago, the troop went through the 1960's Handbook and discussed the requirements for T->FC. By the time the meeting had ended we had dragged out old maps, worked on them and did some things that the new book didn't cover. One of my boys even knew Morse Code, which came as a surprise to me. It was neat.

Last week we did the same thing with the 1911 Handbook. The boys were surprised to find that Star->Eagle weren't even in the book, and that FC was the "goal" of scouting. Again it led to some interesting discussions from the boys.

We use the old Green Bar Bill training in our troop because the boys prefer it over the JLT and NLT programs.

As long as my boys show an interest in the historical material, including the historical MB's offered this year, I'm pleased as punch.

They also selected a summer camp a couple of years back that emphasized the boy-led, patrol-method approach to activities and have gone back every year. They enjoy the patrol cooking and still get in all the camp activities offered.

Stosh