Scouting and Eagle on Applications

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was looking into the army, Eagle would mean you would go in as an E-2. It should be noted that many things can get you the pay grade of E-2 or E-3 before boot camp. I have had friends that did a fitness testing regimen and some other things with the local recruiter before basic and went in as an E-3.

They thought they were hot stuff until they found out that I could go in as an E-3 with increased pay without doing all that (4 years U.S. Army JROTC as well as Eagle).

• 1 month later...

As an Eagle Scout I wish I had known about joining the military as an E2/3 when I enlisted as an E1, if it was even an option back in '77. Oh well it didn't hurt me any. Left the enlisted ranks as an E5 and now get to wear another Eagle emblem, that of an Colonel/O6. So I guess it worked out pretty well for me! Twin Eagles, I tell EBOR's that I get to wear two Eagles because of the first Eagle earned back in '73.

Of the many things those two words "Eagle Scout" signify, certainly foremost (above religious preference, leadership skill, etc ...) is adeptness with paperwork at an early age. Clearly an HR excec dreads the day when someone arrives who can better dot the i's and cross the t's. Soon enough that new hire will start gunning for their position. Thus, the move in corporate circles to strike those two words from consideration amounts to little more than a feeble attempt at job security. :)

I review resumes regularly. I've received lots of advice and training from HR. There are hot issues to avoid - you don't ask how old someone is, or whether they plan to have children, or what visa they are on (there is other approved wording), or whether a woman is pregnant. Essentially, don't ask about things that aren't related to doing the job. But I've never received any advice to disregard leadership positions in religious groups. Clearly I would not ask what religion a person is, but someone's leadership and paperwork skills could certainly be job related.