you've never been to Atlanta and heard somebody order a "rootbeer coke"?

I haven't, and I've lived in the South my whole life (well, except for 3 1/2 yrs in Miami).

In proper Southern usage, "coke" is the term for a generic soft drink of any kind. "Let's go out for a coke" means let's go get a soft drink. I have never heard of "rootbeer coke." A southerner would order a rootbeer or a sprite or a cream soda or a coke or a pepsi. They wouldn't order a "rootbeer coke."

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At Station Square? Yup. There are a bunch of good place to eat there. Just Ducky Tours runs outta there. Take the incline up to Mt Washington and enjoy the view or dine in one of the fine establishments! Take a ride on the Gateway Clipper!

Sounds about right, based on people I know from Michigan, Ohio, etc. who are living in New Jersey. What I don't get is, why the huge enclave of soda-speakers around St. Louis, in the middle of "pop" country and on the edge of the Coke belt? And the smaller enclave in eastern Wisconsin. Also, is there a colony of Texans in northwest California? But anyway...

Possibly due to Beer? St. Louis and Milwaukee (small pockets of "soda" drinkers surrounded by "pop" connoisseurs) are beer capitals as well.

"It ain't Pittsburg anymore and ain't been for a lotta decades!"

The last time I had a deep conversation about Pittsburgh, Terry Bradshaw was still QB'n for the Steelers! And still had hair on his head!

And I guess me learning "yens" ain't so bad as you learning the difference between: Ya'll, You'all, and You'all's

:)

In our District, we have one LDS Ward with a couple of Troops with small membership numbers. The LDS church in our part of the country is small. They do not have much influence when it comes to voting rights, but they have gained influence in regards to their volunteer contributions to our District. They provide their Ward building for free as a gathering place for monthly District meetings, District Roundtables, OA chapter meetings, and Adult Leader training courses. In short, they have been positive and friendly Scouting brothers and are on the same page to deliver the promise of Scouting.

Posted by moosetracker: but when in MA & NH it was definitely Soda.

AH! It depends where you were in MA. In the Boston area its tonic, or at least it was when my wife and I were growing up. I still encounter a few tonic drinkers but the usage seems to be fading. My wife and I are fighting a loosing battle with our kids who insist on using soda despite our influence. Ive now found myself slipping and using soda more often these days.