Just Curious about Military Leadership

We do not have an issue or problem in out pack with this, but was just wondering for curiosity's sake:

1) If your pack or troop is predominantly military family, how do you handle routine and sudden military deployments and departures?

2)Has this ever cause a camping trip or event to be canceled or delayed?

3) Are there more or less behavioral issues with the youth

Our pack CO is about 15 to 18 miles from Marine Corps Base Camp Lejune, NC. Our Committee Chair is active USMC and I think that two dads are also active military( one Marine, one Coastie), but that's it.

Again, just curious.

Scoutfish,

I was in the Marine Reserves as a young ASM. My Scoutmaster told me that if I ever got deployed, my duties would just go to another ASM. With deployments of both active and reserve forces more common than back then, you really need to develop a succession plan for all your adult volunteers so that transitions are relatively smooth when someone is not available for whatever amount of time. Be sure you do it for all leaders and not just the ones in the military. Corporate America sends its employees off to jobs elsewhere with little notice too. Heck, even those leaders who do not travel need to be included in the plan because things happen. For example, a leader may be locally employed and only works in the general area; however, the leader could get injured and out for an extended period of time. If you have backup plans for leadership both in general terms and for specific activities, the likelihood that a campout or other event is canceled is diminished. Also, if the backup works with the Scouts every now and then, the behavior issues associated with Scouts trying to test their boundaries with a "new" leader will also be diminished.

Good luck,

Chazz Lees

I know that in '99, units from LeJuene were deployed to Central America for some emergency, and about 1/3 of the units either did not recharter, or recharter on time, due to the loss of leaders. My coworker was having a rough year at that time. So to answer your questions.

1) units folded or scrambled like crazy to keep going.

2) yes

30 don't know.

As a retired USAF service member. This is my take on how a deployment effects the unit and the family. As well as what can be done to make the deployment easier on the family.

Scoutfish, "1) If your pack or troop is predominantly military family, how do you handle routine and sudden military deployments and departures?"

This is where its important to have numerous leaders and making sure you have a balance of military leadership and non military leadership. Get fathers and mothers involved who are not the military member.

Scoutfish,"2)Has this ever cause a camping trip or event to be canceled or delayed?"

Yes, this happens, and there may also be a period of reforming the unit for a period of time.

Scoutfish,"3) Are there more or less behavioral issues with the youth"

Its hard on the youth of a family when parents are deployed. Lots of things go through a child's head. Even though I was in the military for 20 yrs I can only imagine how the children in a family feels when a parent leaves. The biggest thing is they don't know if they will ever see the military parent alive again. So there will be issues of youth acting up, and its important for leaders to understand this. There may also be issues of youth who become quite or separate them selves for a time. The important thing is that the leaders who don't deploy make sure they form a relationship in which they can help the youth and the families of those who are deployed.

A deployment also offer an excellent time for troops and packs to perform much needed service. Things like mowing yards, taking out the trash, raking leaves, and taking care of younger children to give the parent that is at home alone time off. If the youth are keeping themselves active in the service of others they don't have time to worry about themselves.

• 2 weeks later...

I was in an infantry BN at Camp Swampy (Camp Lejeune).

I did not have a child/was not married then.

I would agree with getting a mix of adults on your committee

I cannot imagine being a Dad/ Adult leader/ Marine Gunny or Major and serving the demands of being in the weeds learning and doing work ups to deploy. You can expect those Marines in infantry regiments to be in the field 3 weeks out of the month. Some other Marines can work a 9 to 5 type job,I never saw it but it can happen. Liberty is a privilege not a right.

A Marine will give you all he's got but he serves another master.

Ask what his job is, have him communicate with you on what his level of commitment can be.

Help them, help their sons.