• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll tell you who is really evil, people with long hair, or a tattoo, or a male with a pierced ear, or facial hair or anything else disgusting to me. C'mon, if you ain't a Brad Pitt or George Clooney clone the BSA has no room for you.

Of course as clones, they merely look like Pitt and Clooney, their beavior is at all times scout like...

HEY! My Scoutmaster in the 70's had long hair AND a pierced ear! (Hi Tom!) He smoked and drank endless cups of coffee too! Look at what happened--I've been in the troop since 1973, I'm the CC, and have no criminal record...amazing. Now if I can just kick the evil COFFEE HABIT!

if they banned tattoos I'd miss out on the yearly "are those real" question every year when I do swim tests and the boys see me in my swimsuit rather than in uniform where they are covered. I have 3 tattoos and I'm not getting rid of them! Thankfully they are appropriate for viewing, if they weren't then I'd cover them up while around scouts.

Kinda strange how things change.

Back when I was a Scout in that Green and Pleasant Land across the pond, a pipe seemed to be a "Must have" in order to be a SM.

Even after all these years I can still remember small groups of what at that time seemed like very old men! Wearing silly hats with plumes stuck in the hat band, socks with garter tabs (Very close to sets of the knobbiest

knees ever exposed.) All puffing away on their pipes.

I seem to think that I read somewhere that BP enjoyed his pipe.

Ea.

in 9 days, I will have been smoke free for 1 full year. I smoked for 20 years. Not 19, not 21, but 20 years.

But I did not smoke inside my house, nor in my wife's car. I did not smoke when my wife and son were in a vehicle with me. I did not smoke at, or during any scout activities.

The worst part was Pack family camping. I could have walked about 300 yards to our designated smoking area(outside the camp area) , but I realized I would sopend alot of time away from my son and other scouts ....mostly by the walking back and forth.

Now, once I got home, I went nuts. Probably looked like my face was on fire! :)

So my point is this:

As a (former) smoker, I think BSA should outright ban smoking during scout functions. No, it's not about taking a right away from a smoker, but protecting the rights of non smokers.

What is the smoker gonna say? : "Ahhgh, the clean air hurts!" ? It will not hurt to have some clean air, but there is no doubt that even a small amount of smoke is bad for smokers and non smokers alike.

NASCAR, which I love, banned smoking in the stands of races. The same races where you semell raw gasoline, exhaust and burning rubber. As a smoker ( when I did smoke) I completely understood the rreasons behind the ban. Same as above.

NJ, I cannot see a reason for anybody to be offended.

YEP! I sure did. From Friday afternoons when my son got in the truck with me until Sunday afternoon when we got home.

Like I said, after I got home,I'dlight up til my face probably looked like it was on fire, but I held off the whole weekend.

Might be part of the reason I was able to quit cold turkey one morning when I woke up.