Anybody have any positive experiences with LDS Committees? I have rarely seen a functioning LDS Committee, but at times (like now) see one very strong. What do you other LDS guys expect from the role of a committee?

I would expect the Cubs Committee to be separate from the Scout Committee. However, there are in theory three scout committees - Troop, Team, and Crew. I can see the benefits of having the 3 scout committees being a committee of the whole (entirely same membership), or having 3 separate committees if the manpower was available for it (not likely though). Having a single committee seems like it would help the 3 units work together a little better.

LDS Scout committees are no different from any other charter organizations committee. If the members of the committee don't do take their responsibilities seriously then they will fail. If the troop/Team/crew leaders don't know how to use the committee then they will end up doing all the work themselves.

bacchus, " What do you other LDS guys expect from the role of a committee?"

Form the church Scouting Handbook, Page 3.

"Each Scouting committee should:

1. Meet as needed to discuss scouting in the ward and to recieve assignments from the committee chair.

2. Support and assist the Scouting activities by providing needed services.

3. See that the Scout units operate in accordance with Church policies and the standards of the Boy Scouts of America.

4. Encourage boys and young men to earn the On My Honor and Faith in God Awards."

Not much different from any other CO.

While I have seen a committee which was over all the programs. It works better having a separate Cub Committee, this is because much of the meeting is used to plan the pack meetings.

As for a combined troop/team/crew committee I think it works well, due to much of the functions of committee members overlap.

However, it puts much more responsibilities on Team and Crew leaders as these units are set up where CMs usually function as responsibility advisors to the youth. With a combined committee this usually don't happen.

You have to be real careful to ensure that the Team and Crew work on their various programs and are just not an extension of the Boy Scout Program,(ie: focusing only on BS advancement). A strong committee with an understanding of the various programs is needed to prevent this.

"You have to be real careful to ensure that the Team and Crew work on their various programs and are just not an extension of the Boy Scout Program,(ie: focusing only on BS advancement)."

I see some of this and need to get it corrected. Maybe a simple training on Coach PST and Advisor PST would do the trick. Although it seems a bit much to expect a committee member to spend 4 hours each on 2 different trainings just to sit on the committee.

I also see a bit too much of the committee trying to direct the YM program, which should be the position of the YM Presidency/Unit Leaders (SM, Coach, Advisor).

Another way to handle the committee situation (assuming you have enough leaders available) is to have the YM presidency form the core of the committee(s) and let the quorum advisors be the SM, Coach, Venture Advisor. The YM presidency can oversee the entire set of programs, and they can take a good chunk of the mentoring roles needed for VArsity and Venture units.

If you have a 3-in-1 committee for scouts, I recommend having at least one person from Primary be on the committee to handle issues with the 11 year old Scouts, and to help coordinate activities with the Cubs as needed.

bacchus, "Although it seems a bit much to expect a committee member to spend 4 hours each on 2 different trainings just to sit on the committee."

I don't think so. How can you be an effective committee member if you don't know the job. I have spent all my adult life learning about the different programs so I can serve the youth better. I don't think it would hurt anyone to do whats required in order to fulfill the calling/responsibility that they agreed to do.

bacchus, "I also see a bit too much of the committee trying to direct the YM program, which should be the position of the YM Presidency/Unit Leaders (SM, Coach, Advisor)."

The committees job is one of support, this is the same for any CO. The committee also approves the yearly calendar, after the youth leaders build it. The committee don't direct the program the support the program by tracking advancement, organizing transportation, keeping track of funds, equipment, and outdoor/camping. However, if the leaders (YM Pres)is not following the scouting program properly its the committees responsibility to help them get back on track.

diogenes,"Another way to handle the committee situation (assuming you have enough leaders available) is to have the YM presidency form the core of the committee(s) and let the quorum advisors be the SM, Coach, Venture Advisor. The YM presidency can oversee the entire set of programs, and they can take a good chunk of the mentoring roles needed for VArsity and Venture units."

The YM's presidency are called as the Qurom advisors SM, VC, and VA. They just make up the presidency. Then the Bishop calls other men as assistances as required. The committee has an entire different responsibility.

diogenes, "If you have a 3-in-1 committee for scouts, I recommend having at least one person from Primary be on the committee to handle issues with the 11 year old Scouts, and to help coordinate activities with the Cubs as needed."

By virtue of her position the Primary President is automatically a member of the troop ,committee to handle issues of the 11 year old Scout patrol.And One of her counselors are responsible for the Cubs Scouts and is a member of the CS committee.

When I was committee Chairman I would have the Primary President serve in the secretary position as it was less demanding on her and gave her something to do on the committee. I also had the ASM over the 11yr Scout Patrol attend the committee meeting as his program is separate from the main troop program.

Gary: "The committee also approves the yearly calendar, after the youth leaders build it. The committee don't direct the program the support the program by tracking advancement, organizing transportation, keeping track of funds, equipment, and outdoor/camping. However, if the leaders (YM Pres)is not following the scouting program properly its the committees responsibility to help them get back on track."

Maybe it's just semantics, but my YM calendar, which includes scouting activities, is approved by the bishopric. Also, although the committee may want to help get a Scouting unit "back on track", I would think this kind of direction to a member of the YM Presidency would be better coming from the bishopric - or the COR in scouting terms. It's been my experience that the scouting unit leaders are more knowledge about the BSA programs than the committee chair anyway.

bacchus, "Maybe it's just semantics, but my YM calendar, which includes scouting activities, is approved by the bishopric."

The bishopric is the final approval for all things. However, before the calendar gets to the bishop it should go through the committee first to ensure the committee can support the program. On of the biggest problems I have found is the YM Presidency going around the committee and straight to the bishopric on things that the committee should be involved in. Doing this make the committee ineffective, and negates the need for a committee.

bacchus,"Also, although the committee may want to help get a Scouting unit "back on track", I would think this kind of direction to a member of the YM Presidency would be better coming from the bishopric - or the COR in scouting terms."

Its been my experience that the bishoprics donot have the experience to know if the program is off track, unless they have been scout leaders before. Even then if the program was not being done properly they may not know there is a problem.

The COR is usually a member of the bishopric and a member of the committee. He should be open minded enough to rely on the committees help to work with the YM leaders in ensuring the program is "on Track" according to BSA guidelines.

bacchus, "It's been my experience that the scouting unit leaders are more knowledge about the BSA programs than the committee chair anyway."

I should hope that would be the case.

However, our unit has just gone through a five year period where the SM, VC, and VA did not have the knowledge of the program that members of the committee did. These men would not attend training. Would not focus on a boy lead program. And ran what I call Basketball scouts or scouting of fun as my boy would put it.

Now its the other way around the committee is made up entirely of non-scouting people and the scout leaders are scouter's. However, we are still having problems with establishing a boy planned, lead, and carried out program. Hopefully this will change after the SM attends wood-badge this fall.

Good input. It sounds like you are saying if I'm not utilizing the committee to its potential, I'm contributing to its ineffectiveness. I'll do what I can.

Now I need to get them (the CC) on board with quorum identity.