"Should all boys become Boy Scouts?"

That is an excellent article, thanks for sharing.. Should ALL boy become boy scouts?? I think alot more would enjoy the benifit of participating if they knew what it was really all about, but sadly it is not for all boys.

Boys have individual likes and dislikes, and for those who do not like the outdoors, and cannot unhook for the video game to eat or go to the bathroom, just would never enjoy the program.. And to each his own. They will find their own form of enjoyment.

But, for those who just never listen to what BSA is about due to peer pressure, or those against the program putting it down.. Those I feel we are missing, and it's sad.

How many times have I seen a young man or adult who is close to 21 or over who hear from us for the first time what the program is about, and are excited, but also upset they did not know about it sooner.. Some of them have said to me they hope when they have kids their kids will get hooked on scouting so that they have an opportunity to expierience it at least as an adult.

I have to agree with the most statement. I have tried to deliver the cub scouting message to some boys who simply don't want to be there or participate.

I enjoyed the article, especially from a questioning parent.

It sounds like his son is in an exceptional Troop.(This message has been edited by Basementdweller)

All boys should have the opportunity to become Boy Scouts. And, that requires open mindedness and a lack of judgemental attitutdes on everyone's part.

(Did anyone read the comments? Put on your asbestos suit.)

Edited to prove I can spell.(This message has been edited by Nike)

Yes, I read the comments.

Really liked the article and thought it was very positive for scouting overall. The comments though demonstrate the amount of misinformation out there that is probably hurting the image of the BSA. We need more articles like this one, and more importantly more adult leaders willing to serve youth like described in the article.

SA

Yah, I'd say my answer is a qualified "yes." Qualified in part because I reckon we should always be humble and recognize that there are other great programs out there that also meet the needs of many kids, and partly because it's clear we don't have da depth of adult leadership to accommodate every kid without a decline in program quality. We see some evidence of that in how scoutin' is conducted in various stakes and wards where participation is mandatory and adults are recruited just to fill spots.

But I can't tell yeh how many times at EBORs young men have talked about how Scouting more than any other activity really enhanced their lives, and made 'em who they are as a person.

Of course if all boys were Boy Scouts we probably wouldn't see tragic tales like this one my news feed picked up today (yah, yah, I use da NPR news feed sometimes. Don't pick on me too much. ;))

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=128954676

Beavah

(This message has been edited by Beavah)

Yes, all boys can be boy scouts provided they are paired with the troop. An extreme example I off the top of my head is a quadriplegic Eagle in our council. There are very few troops that could give him a quality scouting program, but there is at least one.

Barry

Should they?

YES!

It's like asking : Should all people become good citizens?

Can they or will they all be Boy Scouts?

No.

Some will noit want to, some won't understand what it's about, and some may want to, but their parents will not allow it due to the most minor of reasons.