Do you do term limits or not?

Our troop and pack both do term limits for our Scoutmaster and Cubmaster(3yrs SM, 2yrs CM) This is my first year in the troop and our SM is starting his final year, so I'm interested in watching the vetting process take place. I've been with the pack for 2 years, so we just went through our CM change, and all is going well as our new CM puts her mark on the program. Watching the new CM take over has been a seamless transition since we prepared for this a year ago and were able to identify the new CM quickly. Next year we'll start the process again for tabbing a new CM. (Full disclosure alert) Yes, I have been approached informally about taking over after this term ends. I've read a lot of posts about SM's or CM's staying longer than they had wanted to or SM's and CM's leaving abruptly without a replacement in their back pocket. I do like the idea of term limits because it does force us as a group to be looking toward the future in identifying and training future leadership. I also think it gives us a change of pace and to bring fresh perspective to the program we deliver. I do understand the other side of the equation, having a SM or CM serve long term is like having a stable rudder that guides the course. You know what to expect in commitment, leadership styles, etc. So, what do you think, To term or not? What does your unit do? Your time starts ....NOW

I'm thinking that no, I wouldn't like them.

My line of thought is this: A SM or CM can always step down or "retire" if they feel they are getting burned out. The committies, CO or COR can always ask/ demand the SM or CM step down if they are not able to perform in a manner that is suitable or( for a lack of a better word) "profitable" to the program . I do not mean monetary either, but in quality.

Basically put, there are ways to remove a dud from the position.

But what if somebody comes along with a great refreshing insight to the program? What if the next best thing shows up...and you toss them out just as they are really about to bring the pack/troop to life in ways that nobody is used to.

But before they do...they are cut off due to time limits.

The first year is a learning process. Takes time to get up to speed and find your groove...especially in a pack/troop that was lackluster in their program.

Pretty much, you can get rid of a bad apple, but sometimes, things need time to bloom all the way before you chunk them!

But that's just my opinion.(This message has been edited by scoutfish)

Officially, we all have one year term limits.

When I was appointed SM (now 6 years ago) the committee chairman commented in passing that it would be a good idea to consider SM appointments to be for two years, renewable annually thereafter. Two years later, I mentioned to the committee that I was agreeable to serving another year and they all looked at me like I was nuts. Neither I nor the committee has mentioned since.

Our troop seems to get someone in position then cling to them desprately, whether good or bad for the program.

They have just put into place voting all positions in for a year at the end of the school year. But, first you need someone to step up and run against someone in the position. Or it is just going to be window dressing.

With the Committee Chair, the acting one wanted to leave and offered to train someone for a year. After that year, he left the position and it was empty for 6 months, come the time to recharter no one was in the position. I told them to look right up until the day they had to recharter, but as a last ditch they could put me as the CC. I did a good job while there, but I was not a good choice as I had already planned to leave the troop when the school (and troop) broke for summer. (Seeing my son was now an adult leader and not a scout). So I was a 6 month temporary fill.. Not a good choice at all. (Also we already had a SM that was a dud, so running a committee to support him wasn't going to be easy or fun.) Basically the troop wasn't FUN any more for me, so it was time to leave.

The majority of the time my son was in (at least til he got eagle at 16) this was a very active (and fun) troop with alot of active parents. At one point we had an equal amount of TRAINED leaders to the amount of boys in the troop. But the children aged out, and we would welcome and entice and welcome crossover parents to join the adult leaders, but got years of uncommitted parents. The program has slid downhill ever since.

We were in hopes a young 21 yo would take SM, but he had a family emergancy around election time. Parents of the troop keep telling my husband they wish he was SM, but the lack of "fun" in this troop is burning him out. A few years ago he would have done good, now he is unsure he could work up the entusiasm again to turn the program around. He is starting to talk of looking for a new troop to be apart of.

I see some merit to the plan IF you have alot of well trained enthusiatic Adult leaders with many itching for a chance to be in the head positions.. Other troops who struggle to fill the positions, could not have forced retirement every two or three years. They would be forcing someone out with no replacement to fill the hole.

It seems in our troop the last 4 SM have all taken office with a clear understanding how long the expect to be in the position. The two before me each served 2 years. I went in with the idea of being there for 3. I have a clear understanding with the CC. This year being my last we are both looking out for my replacement and his as well the next year. I don't think we need term limits exactly, but it is probably a good idea if the incoming SM has a tentative idea how long he expects to be there.

The first year I spent figuring out what I was doing. The second I discovered what I was doing wrong. Now I plan on doing it right.

No term limits here. The last three SM's and committee chairs served about 5 years each. One SM is still with us as an ASM who mentors star to eagle scouts and the other teaches MBs. Our treasurer and equipment chairmen have 10+ years in their slots. The current activity chair has 3 years with us and the advancement chair 2 years.

Works for us to let a guy or gal serve as long as they enjoy their job and do it well.