Hello All

Have any of you ever put a leader in for an award that had to go to national where they cashed your check but never sent the award.

And when you call about it you tell them you put someone in for the Scoutmaster's Award of Merit they tell you that has been replaced by Unit Leader's Award of Merit

I asked them ok so where does that leave me? I was told to resubmit under Unit Leader's Award of Merit and try again.

But what about the check that was cashed it may not have been much but its the point that they have awards and you have to pay for them they cash your check and tell you to resubmit. You resubmit and need to send a new check go figure

Just wanted to add

I do have a problem with leaders being put in for awards they didnt earn !!!!!!!!!

1 example is the St. George Award for religion and the leader has nothing to do with church or mentoring in religion.

you look at some of the leaders and see just what awards they have and just smile knowing they didnt do a damn thing to earn them!!!!!

Why is this going through national? Your council should be handling this. Either way, complete the new application and attach a copy of the old app, the letter you got and the cancelled check along with a note explaining that it has all been paid for.

Don't be too quick to judge awards earned by other. St. George I don't know about, but the requirements of some religious emblems give broad descretion to the local churches. Our CO considers Scouting to be a ministry of the church. Consequently, the church has awarded adult religious emblems to non-church members who have served the church exclusively through scouting.

thats just an example

i guess my statment is that leaders shouldnt be put in for awards they didnt earn.and i know 2 leaders that keep putting each other in for awards and ones hey dont really earn but still fill out the paperwork for it.

What awards require sending a check to BSA national?

I recieved the Scoutmaster's Award of Merit (SAM) over two years ago. The paperwork was submitted through my council office, but I am not aware of any check going along with it.

The award says, "the PRESIDENT, BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA Joins With the NATIONAL EAGLE SCOUT ASSOCIATION In Recognizing ..." So it was a BSA/NESA award.

The Leader's Award of Merit replaces the SAM. It is not a BSA National nor a NESA award. It is approved by your Scout Executive and Council Commissioner or President. The form for this award can be found at http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/512-003_WB.pdf

I know of one Scoutmaster that the MAD was submitted for in 2009 and they did not recieve it. I think they stopped processing the paperwork for this award before it was officially canceled early in 2010.

These awards meant for recognition, but some like them for the "bling factor" - its all based on the honor system. I actually know of one scouter who turned down the Silver Beaver because he did not think he deserved it!

To me, these awards are like memories of the good times and people I have had the pleasure to deal with in scouting. I look at each one and remember what I did to get it and who gave it to me. I find that most of the boys and adults I meet in scouting have no idea what the award knots mean on a uniform.

Dont get me wrong it was a $1.50 check nothing big at all.

And it went to national and not any further never even a decline.

I guess Im just a little distraught about leaders getting awards for doing nothing!!!!!!!!

You see leaders on every camp out and work all day with the kids running a great program. Put them in and they get nothing. Then you have leaders that do nothing and there getting knots and awards left and right. Just not right for the leaders that you see giving there all and receiving nothing.

We have put leaders in for awards and go to the awards dinner and some of them dont get it for some reason but then you see the few that dont deserve it get the real high awards like one is the Silver Beaver well I guess he has a friend thats is a good writer..

all this is is somthing i was thinking about and how wrong i think it is.........

This can happen anywhere, and I hear what you're saying. Some things you can't fix, and some aren't worth trying. However ... if you know of someone who deserves an award, then you should fight for it. That includes a quality nomination. I've sat on numerous selection committees, and you wouldn't believe the laughable crap that people turn in. Take the time, do the research, be specific, and address the things that are stated on the application or the actual award. Many times, people are nominated for the wrong award. Just bein' a good guy or just showing up doesn't hold much water. Be specific to the award you're seeking.

BDPT00

I've also been to the dinners where people get the higher awards and there is nothing substantial in the write up. One got the Silver Beaver for what appears to be for mowing the lawn at the scout camp. Either the write up was bad or this person really did not deserve the award.

My approach to awards is the same wearing the BSA uniform properly. I tell my Scoutmasters, I am not the one to point out what is improper on your uniform. For example, I see some adults wearing their Wood Badge patrol patch below the American Flag. I tell them that they should know what is proper and set the example for all the boys to see.

If a boy asks them, what is that knot for, they have to either make up a story or withhold the truth. Either way, it would not make me feel good inside to misrepresent myself like that. I take pride in what I do for scouting and don't I present a false image of myself, for any reason. For me, scouting is the one place where truth is not a victim.

Be careful not to do your acts of righteousness before men, to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.

So when you give to the needy, or to the children, do not announce it as the hypocrites do, to be honored by men. I tell you truly, they have received their reward in full. But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your kindness to the children may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you - Matthew 6

Yah, Mr. Maynard, I wouldn't fret too much about people struttin' around with awards from a kids' program that they never earned; or even ones that they did, eh? They have already received their reward.

The real treasure of Scoutin' is the quiet times in the woods, and the seeds we plant in young men and women to grow to give fruit to their lives. Those folks with da extra knots miss out on da real rewards.

Beavah

I can understand your problems with people getting awards they have not earned. However, all awards have to be approved by someone. Assuming that an award was not earned simply because YOU do not personally like an individual, or YOU do not see how they met the award requirements is not very courteous. Perhaps you just don't know the person well enough, or know the full story behind their requirements for the "unearned" awards. Either way, it is out of your hands.

As for the problem you posted about in your opening post - It is always a good idea to make sure an award is still active before applying for it, and to make sure the application is sent to the correct place for processing.

As AvidSM stated, neither the National Presidents Scoutmaster Award of Merit, or the Unit Leader Award of Merit, must be approved by National. Both awards are approved, and processed by, YOUR COUNCIL. The unit's Committee Chair is responsible for sending the completed application form to their LOCAL COUNCIL SERVICE CENTER, not to National. The unit is NOT responsible for purchasing the awards.

You stated you sent a check of $1.50 (for a fancier certificate from NESA), along with the application to National. Who did you make the check out to? Since this is a defunct award it is possible no one at National knew what your check was for. I would send a copy of the cashed check to whatever department at National, or NESA, cashed it, and request a refund.

When you reapply for the Unit Leader Award of Merit, make sure you read the application form COMPLETELY, and fill it out CORRECTLY. You must send the completed application, and attachments, to your COUNCIL SERVICE CENTER for approval, and processing. No checks are needed. It will be up to your Council if/how the award is presented.

Two issues here.

First off, there are NO awards that individuals should be sending to National. They should be sent to your council. Some will stay and be processed locally, some will be sent on to National. The award you are speaking of (Unit Leader's Award of Merit) is processed locally, and there should be no charge for it.

Second, as a member of several awards committees, one of the biggest issues I see is lack of submissions. We promote as best we can these awards, and we know there are people who should get them, but if there aren't any nominations, no one gets this. This is especially true for awards for which only a limited # can be given. Now, one award I am involved in, probably half the submissions get turned down. The information is not enought to determine that the person mets the qualifications. We always reserve the right to change this if a better (more complete) nomination is submitted, and have done so. Or if the nominee is known by several on the commitee, who know the person has met the criteria. But its a problem.

Yes, sadly, some people may be given awards that they really don't deserve. Sometimes it may be because YOU really don't know what the person has done behind the scenes.

Met a fellow sporting the philmont arrow head.

He spun a tail of 150 pound packs and didn't know what or where the tooth of time was...... Didn't know what a switch back was.......on and on.....

ALL BSA awards can be purchased on line......EBay and a few other sites.... I am not saying it is right and it is being done.

More than a few Posers in the BSA, Man Scouts who need awards to measure their worth.

I also enjoy the Posers who pretend to be woodbadgers.

Maynard,

Never judge a book by it's cover. I have had the pleasure of nominating folks for recognitions that were approved and awarded. Some were obvious choices, a few were the types that work behind the scenes and you don't see at all, BUT if they were not there, then the show couldn't happen.

Additionally

The Skipper's Key application is the only training award that gets turned into National and they send you the medal. Grant you that is one award you do not see a lot of, but that is the policy per Sea Scout.org.