• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Stosh, I'll bite.   This is a "it depends" situation.   I organized many ceremonies during my career.  Changes of command, 9/11 commemorations, memorials for fallen troops, retirements, promotions,

The code never says that the US flag should leave the podium first - nor does it say it must lead all the other flags out of the room at all times.  It actually states quite specifically that it must

We've done a ceremony similar to the one @ mentions.  We've also done a ceremony where the scouts unfolded the flags and displayed them before the assembly as an "inspection" before the flag was retir

Not to get totally off topic, but yeah, the pledge is below. Also there are a whole slew of ways to display the flag in concert with the US flag. It's a big deal down hear. Of course, yes it is true, everything is bigger in Texas.

https://www.tsl.texas.gov/ref/abouttx/flagpledge.html

Last time I checked, TX is part of my country. So, if there's a pledge to be said while I'm on its soil, I'll gladly say it, if I can recall it. :)

Yeah, like those huge flags that they improperly and against US Flag Code display horizontally over the football field that get folded back into one huge triangle?  Yeah right.  They may be ignorant about displaying the flag, but by default whatever they do the flag will be folded appropriately. ...

Doesn't seem like the code was written with "monster flags" in mind.

I'd ask POTUS for and executive order as a stop-gap, until some amendment could be passed, but that goes against my rule #1!

Maybe they don't have anything like that because the ruling to not display it horizontally overrides it.  The Code explicitly says over and over again, "so that the flag flies free".  The Flag is just a flag, but it also has to fly free over a free people to complete the symbolism.

Not to get totally off topic, but yeah, the pledge is below. Also there are a whole slew of ways to display the flag in concert with the US flag. It's a big deal down hear. Of course, yes it is true, everything is bigger in Texas.

https://www.tsl.texas.gov/ref/abouttx/flagpledge.html

Sweet.  We used to have one of these in Illinois but the names of the political bosses kept changing so often it was too hard to keep up :)

Does the Texas state flag need to be present for the pledge?

Yes. Usually you will find the US flag stage right, the Texas and unit flags stage left. Flags come in with the US flag in front, Texas flag and then unit flag. US flag last to be posted, first taken up. US pledge first, then Texas pledge.

Yes. Usually you will find the US flag stage right, the Texas and unit flags stage left. Flags come in with the US flag in front, Texas flag and then unit flag. US flag last to be posted, first taken up. US pledge first, then Texas pledge.

:) According to US Flag Code and BSA Handbook, US Flag first in, state and unit flag together behind it in a second line.  They came to me and asked this question for the Memorial Day parade this past year.  I told them what was correct because the flag line was a total disaster.  I said ONE US Flag by itself walks down the centerline of the street.  ONE STATE flag in the second line and then all the unit flags in line with the state flag.  That line extended shoulder to shoulder all the way across the street.  Patrol and Den flags were with the individual units that followed.  

It looked really impressive over the rag-tag option they had been following.  It really show-cased the US Flag