Membership Decline Reasons

"Our troop is more active and high adventure than any of the districts crews....... In our troops opinion they are posers."

Again, 'high adventure' is not the purpose of Venturing. If the crew is not a high adventure crew, you can't call them posers. You're comparing apples to oranges. (now, if a crew claims to be a high adventure crew, and then doesn't do any, that's another matter).

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AvidSM writes:

We sell the current program as a "fun adventure", changing it to a "fun patrol adventure" is not going to get us any more boys.

"Fun adventure" sounds like something a Den Mother would say (2% TAR).

Boys with the balls to drop out of Cub Scouts will join if you can deliver Underwater Adventure, Backwoods Adventure, Patrol Adventure (28% TAR).

Thomas54 writes:

Is there a good book on the history of Boy Scouts? I have many SM handbooks. I am looking for a what happened, why it happened and when it happened type book.

What aspect of Scouting do you want to know more about?

Tim Jeal's biography Baden-Powell is the most comprehensive history of the Boy Scouts I have read. Here are some extended passages on the spiritual underpinnings of Scouting that you will not find discussed anywhere else, which is typical of the whole book:

http://inquiry.net/ideals/beads.htm

I learned most of what I know about BSA Scouting from Hillcourt's two volume 3rd edition of the Handbook for Scoutmasters. About $15 per volume. See:

http://tinyurl.com/ydutcxo

Yours at 300 feet,

Kudu

Yes my post was confusing.

We have several high adventure crews that have yet to camp.

We also have a number of crews that do other things and do not claim to be high adventure.

We are calling the high adventure crews posers.(This message has been edited by Basementdweller)

Packsaddle,

My daughter, now 8, Has packed her gear into the Grayson Highlands and climbed mount Rogers. Spring break there is discussion of Springer to Neels Gap trip. She knows how's and whys of cat holes, can filter liters of water and understands why. Seen black bears up close and heard them trying to get our grub from the tree.

She knows the cub scout oath, law, and outdoor code. She is a year younger than my son but tougher mentally and physically. She loves scouting and understand it is a boy thing at this point.

It is a shame she needs to wait till she is 14.

Yep, she's ready. That's a great segment by the way. If the weather's good, tell her to spend the night on top of Blood Mtn - shouldn't be any thunderstorms over spring break.

My advice...don't wait until she's 14. Take the time to go while the spirit is right. I almost missed it myself and I regret not striking out sooner. As it is we camped around the continent for 6 weeks a few years back and it is a lifetime of wonderful memories. Don't delay. Grab all you can, it'll be over way too soon.

Pack and Basement - Great advice.

My daughter is 11 and quitting GSA because she has NO interest in knitting, etc. Already shoots a 30 lb bow well, and is waiting until she's 14 to join Venture.

You've inspired me to take her on an adventure next month in Wisconsin. I should quit waiting.

Thanks,

JoeBob

Just to be clear:

The National Executive Board recently approved a resolution to change the eligibility requirements for Venturing to ensure consistency among Venturing, high-adventure bases, and other core programs.

The current age and grade eligibility requirement for participation in the Venturing program is 14 years of age and completion of the eighth grade.

Effective May 1, 2010, the minimum age requirement will be changed to 14 years of age, or 13 years of age and completion of the eighth grade. The maximum age for participation remains under 21 years of age.

Wisconsin?

Maybe they really, REALLY like cheese.;) Seriously, it's cooler (thermally) up there right now. And there's some really good fishing. But it could be that there's another trip already planned and he's piggybacking on that one. I used to do this as well...flying them out to meet me in Oregon or Utah, lots of possibilities.

However, I agree with you about our area. The Southern Appalachians, the coast and barrier islands, all within reasonable distances. Except for that pimple on the planet (Atlanta) there's a lot to be considered right in our own backyard. But I suspect he knows this already and has good reasons for Wisconsin.

See ya in the new thread....

Pack and Basement:

The annual family vacation takes place at the inlaws' lake cabin in upper Wisconsin. Monday's low was 40 degrees with a high of 72. At home in the big 'pimple' the low was 74 and the high was 94.

Mom takes care of the motorized water sports; and the bicycling (Look Dad, no hills!) fishing and canoeing are my purview.

Given the choice between a wilderness overnight hike, or paddling to an island campout, the 11 year old daughter has opted to fish her way into camp. (I will have to convince her that nine year old brothers do NOT make good bait...) I've already started pulling the appropriate gear.

If y'all hadn't poked me with a sharp stick, I'd have been content to piddle around at various cabin repair jobs while sipping the local brews. Now I'm anticipating an adventure to remember and using Google Earth satellite views to check out the rivers around St Germaine.

The operative thoughts in your posts were: 'Do it while they're excited, because they won't be excited for ever."

Thanks!

Joe

I also think there is a direct correlation between a drop in numbers and National revamping or introducing new changes to any of the programs which have not been field tested and in many cases just not well thought out as to future impact in program/training delivery and retention. Whether you agree or not National is TRULY out of touch with scouting in the field and it just keeps getting worse, especially with the Mazzuca Marauders currently in charge.

Mazucca has put himself in the place of "Chief Scout" while still collecting the pay of the CSE. He's hired more ASE's to do his job while he travels the country and attempts to draw more people to scouting, including businesses and money.

I'd much rather see someone like Bear Grylls out on the professional interview circuit pushing Scouting and visiting with units and giving them a good time. Bob wouldn't go out to Boy Scout camp and do the COPE course, but someone like Bear would be a shot in the arm for program!