When did Safe Swim Defense change?

Seems like we've had a lot of aquatics topics recently what with the summer getting started. I'd like to pose a historical question to the group.

In looking back through my Fourth Edition SMH, under the rules now known as Safe Swim Defense, one of the items requires a certified lifeguard 18+ in charge of any unit swimming activity.

Now, of course, certified lifeguards aren't required, but the qualified supervisor has to be 21+.

Does anyone know when that item changed, and have any theories or information on why?

Interesting, I never knew that.

Some speculation on my part as to why the change.

#1 Lifeguard courses require paying additional fees.

#2 Lifesaving MB was designed by ARC lifeguards to teach basic skills.

#3 Lifesaving MB still requires skills that are no longer taught in Lifeguarding courses, i.e. holds, escapes and releases,(as far as I know. Last I taught a YMCA Lifeguard class, topics in requirements 9 and 10 would not have been covered as you NEVER go without equipment...RRRRIIIGGHHHTTTTT [sarcasm off] Hopefully this has changed as I know I and other instructors haev complained about this when it came out)

Has anyone had any problems taking safe swim defense online at myscouting.org? There seems to be a glitch for this training. When one completes the test, you are not given the green that you completed the training. You remain in the blue "in progress".

This is the only training so far that has not worked. Safety afloat works fine.

Abel.

It might have been total coincidence, but I had that same issue with my desktop computer. It's Windows XP / internet explorer 8

I tryied it with my wifes laptop and it went through stright from mid way ..where apparentlyit was hanging up. Laptophas Windows 7 /IE-8

Maybe a video card capability thing or possibly... ALOT of people are taking SSD in a short time and clogging up the server . It is summer afterall! :)

I emailed national and just received a response:

We are currently experiencing problems with this course completing if you have Internet Explorer 8 on your pc. The only workaround we have at this time is to do a screen print and send it to the council so they can manually update your record on their end. I apologize for the inconvenience.