Online Tour Permits--FRUSTRATION

I recently tried filing a tour permit via myscouting.org, and I gave up after about 45 minutes. I find the process difficult (impossible!) to navigate, and I do consider myself to be a fairly computer-savvy type. The local council agreed with me that it's a mess, and it's best to just keep "kickin' it old-school" (fax or in-person). Anyone else sharing my frustration? I finally filed a tour permit entitled "THIS IS FRUSTRATING, FIX IT PLEASE!" in hopes that someone notices.

Once you have it set up its not to bad. The first time is very time consuming having to set up training and transportation.

After that it goes much better. Also use Microsoft explorer and not Firefox, it does not work well with fire fox.

The important thing is to have all the information up front, including the email for the leaders.

While it bulky at times it only take over night to have a permit returned and a copy is sent to all the email who is on the permit as well as the one issuing the permit.

Our experience was that the first time was time consuming imputing the info for all the potential leaders and drivers in the troop. After that, it has been smooth sailing. Usually we file it during a Troop meeting from a laptop. Turn around time is about a day.

I agree that it is not the most intuitive set up, but after using it a few times, I like it. With all the driver and training information saved, it only takes a couple minutes to do a new permit. Several of mine submitted in the morning have been approved the same day.

I will admit that I haven't had to complete one since I crossed over to a troop this year, but I am a big fan of the online version compared to the old method. My council never turned them around as fast as some of you are getting them, but I really liked getting the confirmations through email. I never heard back on the few old style forms that I faxed in.

The methods of gathering and storing information were not what I expected, but once I figured out how they wanted it, filling out the forms was easy. I liked that it had all the information as well as previous submissions available for reference. The online forms sure beat using scissors to cut and tape the signature of the second leader who knew what was going on but was not physically present when I wanted to complete and submit the form. With the online form, the second leader receives a copy of the submission as well as the confirmation/rejection. In my opinion, that gives a much better opportunity for them to review the trip plans then when they glance at a paper form and provide a rubber stamp signature.

I HAVE THE ANSWER!

If you aren't using IE (Microsoft's Internet Explorer browser), you won't be able to use this tool. In Safari, Firefox, etc, boxes and buttons are randomly missing, but errors are not obvious. It will tell you to "add training information", but there won't be any button visible to do this. Once you switch to IE, it's like the lights got turned on. All of a sudden the system is easier to use.

(As someone who has 30+ web developers working for him, I can tell you that it's not very hard to make a system like this work in multiple browsers, and actually all the web programmers I know do this as a matter of course, and in fact it's a lot easier to do this these days than it was a few years ago. Nevertheless, these BSA web programmers did not do their homework.)

-Dave

• 1 month later...

Being new to the Venture Crew experience thought the best way to get things done quickly is online. Filled out the tour permit for the first trip of the year and waited and waited. Finally a week before the trip called local scout office and they were not notified of the request. Wisely I had a copy which I handed over and got approval within a day. Last month filled out another form, did the send button but called the office the next day. They had nothing.

Why can't an organization as big as the Boy Scouts of America have a computer system that works? And works without a bunch of hassle?

Another problem our group have are the online classes. After taking the course and test we wait and wait for a response saying it's complete. Personally had to take the Youth Protection course three times before acceptance. Sad to say, some of the advisors will not waste their time taking online courses, except Youth Protection.

On-line course I have not waited at all.. It's an immediate Congradulations and I get to print out my certificate ASAP. I did just send out info to units in my district about what courses the council knows about. I suspect many people will go into shock to see missing courses, but I suspect the majority will be because they never put their membership ID in, or they mistyped it.

We've been using it for about a year now, and let's just say it leaves a lot of room for improvement. If you have more than one page of vehicle/driver or training information, the system doesn't show which numbered page you are on. With several pages to flip through to identify everyone on the trip, it would nice if the web page would highlight which page you are on, as most web pages do. Also, each page of the above only shows 4 or 5 persons - why not show them all in a scrollable table?

There are too many "saves" that you must hit after entering information. The small box for Route information is terrible to deal with. And why not just have a "reverse course" option if you are driving back the way you came?

In this day and age of user-friendly interfaces, this thing is a dinosaur!