Whittling Chip / Tottin Chip revisited

OK, I've seen several posts about this issue but not a lot of discussion.

If a Scout has earned his Whittling Chip as a Webelo and then bridges to Boy Scouts, shouldn't he continue to have the privilege to carry a knife (only) as a Boy Scout, as long as he carries his whittling chip card and uses it properly, until such time as he earns his Totin Chip and is permitted to handle all wood tools?

It is hard to justify telling a Scout that just because he has gotten older and moved up he has suddenly lost his privilege to carry his knife even though he has not done anything to warrant losing it.

What should be and what is are often two different things. And this is no different in the Scouting world. If a Troop wishes to temporarily accept a Whittlin' Chip then I believe it is in their perogative to do so. The "however" though is that Whittlin' Chip is not a Boy Scout program, so technically it only applies to Cub Scouts.

Even though the Whittlin-chip is not a BoyScout program, it is still an earned item. They went through the tests and trials to earn the right to carry a pocket knife, I do not deny any of my BoyScouts the right to carry a pocket knife if they've earned the whittlin-chip as a cub.

Now if they want to use an axe, saw, etc then they must have the Totin' Chip.

Aren't ALL BoyScouts allowed to carry a pocket knife right away anyway? I could have sworn I saw that somewhere that the Scout rank allows you to carry a pocket knife... Regardless, in my Troop I don't allow anyone to carry a knife without a Whittlin' chip or totin' chip with them as well.

Mike B

from scouting.org:

This certification grants a Scout the right to carry and use woods tools. The Scout must show his Scout leader, or someone designated by his leader, that he understands his responsibility to do the following:

1.Read and understand woods tools use and safety rules from the Boy Scout Handbook.

2.Demonstrate proper handling, care, and use of the pocket knife, ax, and saw.

3.Use knife, ax, and saw as tools, not playthings.

4.Respect all safety rules to protect others.

5.Respect property. Cut living and dead trees only with permission and good reason.

6.Subscribe to the Outdoor Code.

The Scout's "Totin' Rights" can be taken from him if he fails in his responsibility.

So it appears that a scout already earned his right to carry a knife. I won't argue that, but in Boy scouts, he graduates to a higher level of "totin" if you will.

Kinda like going from a passenger driver's license to a Commercial drivers license. The basic stuff of a regular licenses still applies.

If you get caught drinking in an 18 wheeler, you get a ticket over the range of all your driver licenses.

So based on BSA, I'd trhink the whittling chip is still acceptable until the time the scout earns his higher level of totin.

But is he screws up and shows he's not responcible enough...he loses ALL the rights, and not just the totin chip. Meaning he doesn't go back to just a whittling chip.

Lose one....lose both.

But I'll bet this is also something that each troop does upon itself - no set standard.