I bought the Webelos Leader's guidebook a few moths ago. Not even two days later, I regreted my decision as I figured it was a waste of money since BSA is coming out with the new program this fall and I'd just have to buy the new book.

So I went to scoutstuff and took a look at it.

( http://scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/ItemDetail.aspx?cat=01RTL&ctgy=PRODUCTS&c2=BOOKS_LIT&C3=LDRS_TRAINING&C4=&LV=3&item=33853&prodid=33853^8^01RTL& )

I kid you not, this is the true and real description of the book:

"Part of the new Cub Scout Delivery Model, this book has been updated with a new cover. There are no content changes from previous version.

This new-cover begins transitioning in May, 2010, and will continue through September as current inventory is sold.

This guide is for Webelos leaders to use in planning meetings and assisting Webelos in earning their activity badges and Webelos rank and Arrow of light.

"

But to be specific:

"

this book has been updated with a new cover. There are no content changes from previous version."

WOW! If only I had waited for that new book!

"Part of the new Cub Scout Delivery Model" - "There are no content changes from previous version."

Soooooo! All that hoopla for just a new cover?

What other great new ideas does BSA have waiting for us?

It has been known all along that Webelos was not changing in any major way.

The "new delivery method" is for Tiger thru Bears, and moves advancement work from family centered to den centered. This is how the Webelos program has been so no change in delivery method was/is needed for them.

The new book covers are happening on all BSA publications. They are consolidating, unifying, their brand image. This has also been in the works for quite a while.

I went to a training on CubScouting2010 this morning. It sounded like Weblos was changing. Questions were asked about how Weblos II Leaders were to work with the new delivery method, when they are half-way into the program. They have laid out their plans for 18 months, and the new delivery method would have them redo badges they have already done.

The response was the if Webloes I you would start with the new delivery method, same as other ranks. If Webloes II you had two options.. 1) You should look at the outline for the den meetings more carefully and if things have been done, see if you can use meetings from the Weblos I den meetings.. If all fails figure your den meeting as you did in the past.. 2) not try to use the new delivery method and continue using the plan you laid out and are half-way into..

The Adult Leaders books we were told did change for the new delivery method. But, as for the Weblos books that the scouts use, there is no change at all. If a family had boys of diffent rank, the older boys could continue to pass their books off to their younger brother coming up the line.

I know you are saying it is the Webloes Leader guidebook.. So this doesn't jive with what I just spent 2 hours of training learning about.

I've got both the good ol' Webelos Leaders's Guide and the new and shiny Den and Pack Meeting Resource Guide in front of me here. Although there are a few minor conflicts between them (for example, the "suggested schedule" in the WLG does not match the order in the D&PMRG), the new book does not obsolete the old one. They are nicely complementary. So the old book remains, as part of the new delivery model.

This kinda makes sense since the Webelos program already focused on advancement in the Den Meetings and so doesn't change nearly as much as the Tiger, Wolf and Bear programs.

Scoutfish, I'm not sure why you seem disappointed to find out that the version you bought is not, in fact, obsolete!

No wait! I am GLAD that the book I bought is still good. I am glad that I won't have to buy another book. I just think the actual description contradicts itself by saying :

"Part of the new Cub Scout Delivery Model..." "There are no content changes from previous version."

But they changed the cover. So if you happen to go to the scout shop, and see a new cover, AND heard how the program is being changed...you would buy the book, because the description that says there are no changes is ON-LINE, not on the book or on a shelf beside the book.

So it would be AFTER you get home from buying the book that you would discover: "HEY! I didn't need to buy this book afterall!"

FScouter.. As a take off to the title of this thread.. Are you Serious? (just joking).

There's a big lawsuit that was won in the lower courts because in the '80's the scouting program did not have good rules around sexual harassment, same as all other people at the time.

Someone was abused.. The lower court awarded him millions. They will fight it in a higer court. But, be prepared for others comming out of the woodwork with accusations, if they win.

So it may be a large payment, but only the first of it's kind.

Just like rape cases there should have been a statue of limitations. This person knew since the beginning who the culprit was, it wasn't like the cases allowed to be reopened due to DNA that wasn't available in the day.

Fscouter,

That's the joke: The money BSA makes off selling the SAME book( except the new cover) every leader already has - again - because of a different cover...will be used to pay for the lawsuit!