Digital file from Scoutnet?

Does anyone know if you can get an electronic file from Scoutnet?

Is there a way to get an excel spreadsheet or even a text file of a report?

If I want to creat a mailing list I have to get a hard copy printout from the council office but need to hand type all the addresses into a usable format.

My DE is saying it can't be done, but having a Comp Science degree I find it hard to believe that it can't be done

We have a new Registar that is a recent Business school grad and I have been told they are prettty good with computers but they don't know how to do this.

Anyone know how?

Can the report be written to file? There should be a print-to-file option when it comes to printing the report. Then have them email it to you. Then just import position delimited into Excel.

Otherwise, cut/paste the report into Word from the Scoutnet display, Then have them email it to you. Then import position delimited into Excel.

If you have the time, you can always comma edit the report and then comma delimit into Excel. It would be a lot easier than hand copying it.

If the data is digital and or someone can see it on the computer screen, you shouldn't have any major trouble getting it into Excel.

Stosh

Yes, it can be done, depending on what you're looking for.

Ask your DE to look in MyBSA -- it's an overlay filter for Scoutnet that dumps to Excel.

If he can't figure it out, ask him to call the national help desk.

Just for curiosity. How do you plan to use it.. I asked just recently about it myself.. Going into Excel. From Excel I can get my SQL to pull it into SQL tables.

Husband is in Advancement for the district. I am in Training. Husband needs a easy way to update merit badge list. Then the other data we want to do all sorts of statistical analysis. And we want to get an easy way to compare the periodic data we get from Council with our records, in order to flag what is new from them, and in order to flag what is new from us and also what is old, but they simply did not key it in correctly.

I am told that Council is not that great with the keying for the Adult training. We have seen a few key errors for the boys, but they are more diligent with that. It is more the Adults they are sloppy with.

Just wondering if you had any other nifty ideas for pulling it off in data file, rather then the simple hardcoded report, most everyone else is dealing with.

They can run reports that should be printable to file ... after all, FOS call lists are directly printed reports from ScoutNet.

I know also they can save it out as PDF format ... and these days, you can copy/paste just about anything dumped in pdf.

Of course, if your DE is a Luddite, or a komputer klutz, you're in trouble ;-)

They can run the reports, but ScoutNet is limited in access methods. Many reports can't be copied/pasted, and others only popup for printing with no preview.

National has their reasons for information security not all of which I agree with. For instance, any email to BSA email accounts that has a string of numbers is quarantined right now until a help desk employee can manually scan it for SSNs. Why? DEs are distributing SSN info through email. When some DEs leave the business, they have been known to dump all unit rosters, FOS prospect lists, and other such member info into files to take with them to sell or use for other sales positions.

Serving as advancement chair I've been able to get text files from the council registrar for the MBC code 42 roster and unit rosters which are reasonably easy to format and upload to versions of Troopmaster district management software.

The MBC roster is checked against the district list with edits returned to the registrar. Council maintains an MBC listing on the web site for those counselors who have expressly consented to the posting of their contact information on the Internet. The system works reasonably well.

Training records are another matter. I've seen the not trained reports distributed at the district meetings and they are accurate to the extent the training was completed through the national web site. I've not yet seen a report addressing Youth Protection training status for merit badge counselors although I'd like to think it is possible to generate the report. Records for Scouters completing training the old fashioned way are sporadic at best. I did not show as a trained Scoutmaster until I had my third bead. With National's pilot program setting top leader trained status as a condition for recharter I imagine the data collection and reporting will improve.

Oooh I know the YPT is something my husband does want to start pushing to the MBC's. I know they get a number like any other registered Leader and can take the training. You are right though, they may be in their with a number but, there is nothing that will state they are MBC. They will either be listed as Unit leader or Unit committee, or be listed as a district member.

This would be something that will need to be pulled together by matching up your MBC list with a list of those with YPT, in order to figure out what MBC's have not gotten YPT trained.

moosetracker,

Unless National modifies the input for the MBC code 42 roster to include updates from internet training reports it would be futile to track YP training status independently. It would require reconciliation of the adult unit and district rosters with the code 42 roster and one would still miss those only registered as counselors. Given the recent court decision I imagine the data management solution would be implemented sooner rather than later.

The Greater Cleveland Council Advancement Committee has been requiring that MBC new applicants and renewals attach a copies of their YPT cards to their applications since 2009. Ensuring compliance is straightforward, no YPT no MBC. In this scenario compliance is required up front relieving the district chairs of an almost impossible record keeping and enforcement job. Some might view the practice as draconian, but individual compliance is a matter of 45 minutes on the internet.

True, I can see it can not be done inside the system. But it could be done outside once you have pulled the data out to excel or comma delimited or what not.

I am either getting my data sent to me in Excel, or there is now talk of getting me ADMS which can read in the info out of myBSA, then I will pull the needed data into Excel or comma delimited.

Either way once the data is out of the software, You can match MBC with YPT through their registration # or their name if MBC list will not offer the BSA ID #.

The YPT card is fine if you become a registered Boy Scout leader before signing on to be a MBC. But if you sign on to be a MBC first, you must first apply to get your ID number, then you can take the YPT.. So I don't see how those people can get trained before applying.

Untrained folks are conditionally approved and notified, again, of the training requirement indicating they will be approved on reciept of the training verification. New counselors are similarly advised then registered and run through the background check. The individual is finally approved and notified when everything is complete. Cumbersome at start up the procedure has a low error rate.