Howdy from Russellville, Arkansas.I'm new here and wanted to introduce myself. My name is Scott and I'm an old Boy Scout from way back.I have been away from scouting for a long time and have recently gotten back into it with my sons troop. He gives me a reason to make time for it again.

We just got back from summer camp where I taught the Wilderness Survival merit badge and was asked to be an Assistant Scoutmaster because of my outdoors and scouting background. Unfortunately, our summer camp was just our troop because we couldn't afford to attend our local scout camp. The older boys did some high adventure canoing and spelunking while the younger boys stayed in camp and earned merit badges. It was layed back but very enjoyable. The older guys had a lot of fun and the younger guys learned a lot. Actually, we taught more merit badges in a week than our local scout camp teach in the same amount of time.

Anyway, I just wanted to say hello and to let everyone know how happy I am to have found this amazing resource.

Hi Scott...

Summer camp on your own is a wonderful thing, and it's too bad more troops don't try it (although I understand the reasons why they don't).

When I was a scout, we did it on our own twice (at a park more than six hours away from home), and the other years we were at the local council camp. Looking back, I am amazed at how much program was offered in our own camp. Then again, I also realize how many troop dads had to help out. In fact, one functioned as our commissary "officer" doing daily grocery runs for 40-50 kids and adults. I just learned a few weeks ago that he actually got a lot of donations from local grocery stores. This was in The Middle of Nowhere, MI. :)

By the time I was 16, the "wilderness camp" idea was nothing new to me, so when I went into Brownsea 22 training, it was a "been there, done that" kind of experience.

Welcome to the group...

One other thing I should probably point out...I think we were an exceptionally well-prepared troop back then. For example, we "practiced" for months before the '73 national jamboree. Our scoutmaster reasoned with us that if we knew how to lay out, set up and tear down our camp quickly, and prepare and clean up meals quickly, then we could maximize our time in program areas. We had that same attitude going in to our own summer camps as well.

• 2 weeks later...

As way of an update, last week was my first official meeting as the new Scoutmaster for this troop. Somehow, I let myself be suckered into it though agreeing to be an ASM. The last time I was a Scoutmaster was in 1992 when I helped to form a new troop in Killeen, Texas when I was stationed at Ft. Hood. At least, this time, it is an established troop. THat makes it a lot easier.

Hello Scott,

Welcome. Which Arkansas council is yours? I ask that because almost all councils have some campership funds and if money for camp fees is truly the reason that your Scouts can't attend the council camp, your council might be able to help you.

Having said that, it sounds as if you did a wonderful job.