Youth Leader Training materials

Does anyone know where I can find some of the NAYLT training materials like the booklets or the power points. Got some plans in the works and need to look over some of the stuff to come up with ideas.

Have you asked the District Training Chair?

Sometimes some of this stuff is hard to get for a reason! They don't want to take away from the course. Still I'd have a chat with the Training Chair.

I know the nice Lady who works in our Council Service Center Shop has a list of just about everything that is available from National.

It' worth looking at. A lot of really neat stuff that can be used for recruitment is free!!

But some of the items are restricted.

Eamonn

The PowerPoint file can be found at the BSA NE Region Youth Staff Development Course Website. See:

http://www.nylt-ysdc.org/edge.ppt

The presentation includes the Holy Grail of NYLT & Wood Badge Training: the Root Beer Song. This is why Wood Badge courses now offer boxes of tissue. When sung with purpose and meaning, its profound meaning will bring tears to the eyes of all leadership theory enthusiasts.

The Wood Badge/NYLT Root Beer Song

Dough: The stuff that buys my root beer

Ray: The guy that pours my root beer

Me: The guy that drinks my root beer

Fa: a long way to the john

So: Let's have another root beer

La: A lotta lotta root beer

Tea: No thanks, I'm having root beer

And that leaves me with no dough, dough, dough, dough (repeat)

Consider a ceremony upon completion of the course in which you present them with the new YLT Under Armour T-shirt. It is hot pink in color and features "Youth Leadership Training!" on the front, and the lyrics to the Root Beer Song on the back.

Kudu

Kudu,

Maybe the top brass in A'stan IS correcr: powerpoints are making us stupid.

SctDad,

Troop Leader Training may be what yo are looking for, but I advise waiting untilthe updates come out as they are revising it.

I am going to echo Kudu in other posts on this topic, take a look at the 3rd ed. SM HB. There is a training syllabus in there. Now it may need to be slightly modified to keep it current, but overall it looks VERY good and reminds me of some of the things I did as a yute. Only difference was that we had the SPL and Leaderhsip Corps training us instead of the SM.

Actually we are looking for some advanced training tips. Not a certification course. Our OA chapter is thinking about trying something new and we need to be able to have the youth give leadership advise.

I will check out that power point though.

NAYLE if possible.

We are looking for something that is an above and beyond training tip for the youth leaders that may not have been covered in the TLT training. Little tidbits that they can ake back to their troops and use effectivly.

I wrote my own.

BSA training material for actually training youth leaders is poor. I found some old BSA leadership training manuals and PL handbook that offered the stuff I was looking for. I also bought the entire White Stage training manual plus used resource from Greenleaf's servant leadership.

People who haven't staffed using either a NYLT or NAYLE syllabus shouldn't try to pick things out of context. Seeking a "training tip" isn't what the books are for. There are plenty of leadership quotes out there, and lots of ways to make your training interesting without pulling something out of a council or national syllabus. Not knowing the difference between NYLT, NAYLE, (and NAYLT) is a good indicator that you're dabbling in the wrong place. If the OA youth haven't taken NYLT, they have no business trying to train it.

BDPT00

Gee BDPTOO

Thanks for shooting down an idea to help the youth so quickly. We are just looking to offer something to the youth that they might be able to use back in their troop.

Sctdad,

If the NYLT syllabus is anything like the old JLT syllabus, their is a specific progression to the events, and I wouldn't take anything out of context from it. There is a method to the madness.

From my readings on EDGE, it's just a jargonized, updated version of teh old "Tell, Show, Do" of yesteryear.

Here are my thoughts, and not necessarily in any order.

#1 use some of the older troop level training. 3rd ed SM HB, older troop leader training manuals etc.

#2 Try to incorporate initiative games to demonstrate teamwork.

#3 Incorporate basic scout skills, T-2-1 Skills, in a patrol element during the training.

#4 Use interpatrol competition.

#5 use reflections, debriefings, Socratic Method, whatever you want to call it, to see how the patrols could do better after each activity.

#6 GET YOUR OLDER, MORE CAPABLE YOUTH TO DO THE BULK IF NOT ALL THE TRAINING (caps for emphasis.)

"Gee BDPTOO

"Thanks for shooting down an idea to help the youth so quickly. We are just looking to offer something to the youth that they might be able to use back in their troop."

Sorry, but I have to agree with BDPT00.

There is a reason why the NYLT, NAYLE, and WB syllabi are restricted.

You would be better off following the excellent advise from Makaking and Eagle92.

The two-volume, third edition of Handbook for Scoutmasters to which Eagle92 refers can be purchased for about $15 per volume through AddAll. See:

http://tinyurl.com/29xgbxa

William "Green Bar Bill" Hillcourt's Patrol Leadership course, called "Intensive Training in the Green Bar Patrol" can be found at:

http://inquiry.net/patrol/green_bar/index.htm

This is intensive outdoor leadership training which teaches the "meat and potatoes" of Scouting: How to organize a Patrol Hike (and then a Patrol Overnight) so that all of a Patrol's outdoor experiences are based on physical distance and are entertaining to adventure-seeking boys.

"Intensive Training in the Green Bar Patrol" is the training course to which the "Train them" in Green Bar Bill's famous aphorism refers: "Train 'em, Trust 'em, Let them lead."

To that end it is all about how to actually lead a Patrol in the field, rather than learning clever formulas like EDGE (or the older "11 Leadership Skills"). Likewise, the games in this course are focused on fun while passing the miles, and how a Patrol Leader teaches Scoutcraft skills, as opposed to "team-building exercises" that supposedly teach universal "leadership" principles.

Hillcourt's formula is:

1. Be a Leader;

2. Be a Friend;

3. Be Ahead.

This is not content for a PowerPoint presentation that will help a Patrol Leader fill out a duty roster or work in a corporate office. It is a way to remember the physical experience of participating in the outdoor-based Green Bar Patrol.

"Be a Leader" refers to being physically in front of Patrol-based adventure (rather than being a "facilitator of learning").

"Be a Friend" these days might translate to "servant leadership."

"Be Ahead" refers to the mastery of applied Scoutcraft: The ability to use outdoor skills for independent Patrol adventure (as opposed to learning advancement skills so that you can check them off a list). This requires hands-on training out in the field.

Kudu

Eagle and Kudu

Those last posts were some of the best information I ahve rwecieved yet. I will be taking this and making notes. I already have the links opened in another tab.

Kudu - welcome back! (or maybe I just haven't been checking the boards enough recently?)

Regarding the ppt slides - it wasn't readily apparent to me at first - but there are "speakers notes" at the bottom of each page - you may need to expand the area at the bottom of the page to see it all. They only add a little more information than just the bulleted slides, but they may be helpful to see (looks like the deck creator got tired of typing notes 1/2 way through - they only repeat the bullet points after a while). If you're not used to powerpoint, there is also an option to print just the slides, and another to print the slides with the speakers notes.

I'll second the thumbs up for the GBB info - I don't think Kudu has summarized it like that previously (using the 3 points).

And getting back to the OP's request - I think some of the pushback you're encountering in the replies here is b/c it's unclear if you're trying offer an alternative to TLT, or it's in addition to TLT or the council based training (JLT? Brownsea? Impeesa? all of the above?) If it's just for OA - don't they already offer leadership courses, or is it targeted more to Chapter Chiefs and the rest of the leadership team?

YiS,

Gags(This message has been edited by Gags)