The wording is a little confusing but the convoy rule is supposed to apply to all drivers on all trips. It is best to give directions so that everyone knows how to get there. I've seen two and three people on a trip blow through a red light because they were afraid of losing the convoy and getting lost. It also makes it easier on a group leader so they don't have to keep checking to see if everyone made it through that last light and avoids a lot of pulling off the road to let everyone catch up. Just give out good directions ahead of thime so all drivers can review them and evryone can catch up at pre-arranged rest stops.

Most people like travelling together, but convoying is dangerous because of what has been stated. We usually "travel together". Meaning we leave at about the same time, but use GPS, 2-way radios, and cell phones to determine stops and convey problems. We don't rely on visual following because of the dangers.

Youth or adult, if you're goin to just sleep in shotgun, I'm swapping you out for a more talkative rider. Oh, and I require youth to plug one of their ipods into the stereo system. No "teenage ear binkies" in my tin can.

Before departure, I circle up adults and repeat the "no convoy" rule because I once saw the car in front of me get t-boned. (Scenario described as per Pack212Scouter.) Fortunately nobody was hurt and there was minimal damage to both vehicles, but it was clearly our driver's fault.

Yah there's a long prior thread about "convoys", "keeping together", and being independent.

No convoying means none of that silly stuff of driving in a line like you're a funeral procession or a military convoy goin' through Baghdad. Causes nothing but trouble.

Now, in the boondocks and the hinterlands, keepin' together is a good thing. Lots of ways for a vehicle to get off track and get into real trouble. Buddy system is a good thing, with people, boats, and cars, even on da regular roads.

Being independent is an OK thing, if it means that every driver should have a map and know where they're goin'. It's a bad thing if some driver goes off on his own trying to take a short cut, race to the site at 100mph, go too slow because they're afraid of highways or all that.

So yeh find the sweet spot in the middle that works for your people and the area where yeh travel. Biggest thing as several have mentioned is to make sure everyone's on the same page in terms of expectations, and yeh have "backup plans" for re-establishing contact and communications.

Beavah