Unit Leader Award of Merit

Unit Leader Award of Merit is a new adult award that replaces the Scoutmaster Award of Merit, the Varsity Team Coach Award of Merit, and the Venturing Crew Advisor's Award of Merit, as well as adding an award for cubmasters.

Here are the requirements:

Be a currently registered Cubmaster, Scoutmaster, Coach, or Advisor who has served in that position at least 18 continuous months.

Meet the training requirements for the registered position.

Distribute a printed or electronic annual unit program plan and calendar to each family in the unit.

Have a leader succession plan in place.

Effectively use the advancement method so that at least 60 percent of the units youth have advanced at least once during the last 12 months.

Cultivate a positive relationship with the chartered organization.

Project a positive image of Scouting in the community.

Nomination Procedure

The unit committee chair completes the Unit Leader Award of Merit Nomination Form on behalf of the unit committee. For Boy Scout troops, Varsity Scout teams, and Venturer crews, the nomination must include endorsement by the senior patrol leader, team captain, or crew president, respectively.

The unit or district commissioner certifies that the form is complete.

The unit submits the nomination form to the council for approval by the Scout executive and council commissioner or president.

More info can be found here http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/512-003_WB.pdf

Avid,

From what I've read, YES b/c the SM and CA Awards of Merit were specific awards given by NESA and are now discontinued. yep they are no more.

This is a completely new award, with new requirements, and is expanded to all program areas.

I am not sure what is different, but the intent is the same, to reward the hard work of a unit leader that goes above & beyond.. And that is a great thing..

One of our leaders got this award, the letter the SPL wrote to earn him this award was read to the troop at a "Court of Honor", I was really moved by the time and thought this young scout took in writing this letter.. It showed a great deal of respect and admiration for the SM, and I think that letter was worth more to the SM then the award, (although the award didn't hurt either)..

Here are the old requriments to SMAM

Requirements

The Scoutmaster Award of Merit may be earned by a Scouter who meets the following requirements. The nominee need not be an Eagle Scout but must:

Be a currently registered Scoutmaster who has served in that position for at least 18 months

Have achieved the Quality Unit Award at least once during his period of service

Have completed Boy Scout Leader Fast Start and Scoutmastership Fundamentals or equivalent

Have a record of proper use of the Boy Scout advancement program, resulting in a majority of his Boy Scouts attaining the First Class rank

Have a record of:

Development of boy leadership through the patrol method

Positive relations with the troop's chartered organization

An extensive outdoor program including strong summer camp attendance

A positive image of Scouting in the community

A troop operation that attracts and retains Boy Scouts

The following must be attached to the application form:

A list of Boy Scouts who became First Class Scouts during the nominee's tenure as a Scoutmaster

A statement by the senior patrol leader on behalf of the patrol leaders' council and the troop committee chairman attesting to the nominee's performance as Scoutmaster. (This statement is certified by the senior patrol leader and troop committee chairman.)

Requirements

The nominee must:

Be a currently registered Cubmaster, Scoutmaster, Coach, or Advisor who has served in that position at least 18 continuous months.

Meet the training requirements for the registered position.

Distribute a printed or electronic annual unit program plan and calendar to each family in the unit.

Have a leader succession plan in place.

Effectively use the advancement method so that at least 60 percent of the units youth have advanced at least once during the last 12 months.

Cultivate a positive relationship with the chartered organization.

Project a positive image of Scouting in the community.

Nomination Procedure

The unit committee chair completes the Unit Leader Award of Merit Nomination Form on behalf of the unit committee. For Boy Scout troops, Varsity Scout teams, and Venturer crews, the nomination must include endorsement by the senior patrol leader, team captain, or crew president, respectively.

The unit or district commissioner certifies that the form is complete.

The unit submits the nomination form to the council for approval by the Scout executive and council commissioner or president.

I know that many of these awards do not allow overlapping time periods. Does the Unit Leader Award of Merit requirements allow the time period to overlap with the Cub Scouter or Cubmaster training awards? You can't overlap those two, so you need 4 years in Cub Scouting to be awarded the Cub Scouter and Cubmaster knots; do you need another 18 months as CM to earn this one? My DE was unable to find out for me....

yes, time can overlap.

Idea is that the leader (if he's meeting these goals) would earn it after being in the position 18 months, then get the training award next (2 years total) then Key (3 years total).

The original SMAM was a kind of 'half way' award to the Scouter's Key.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Pardon my resurrecting such an old thread...

I wanted to recheck on the overlap the term of service for the Unit Leader Award of Merit w/ the Cubmaster knot (the soon to be replaced knot). Is this still the case?

Also, anyone have any insight with the new (reintroduced) Cubmaster Key?

Thanks!

Not 100% sure, but since this is an Award of Merit and you have to nominated by others for it, I suspect that it the one-knot-at-a-time rule wouldn't apply. I'm assuming the District AoM, and all silver animal awards are the same.