Is Punishing Disrespect Also Disrespectful

I think were all in the same boat Engineer61.

I think the posters, myself included, noted token respect based on rank or age.

The difference is what would you do for a boss who you didnt respect? Clearly you would do your job as defined, but would you do any more than that? Would you watch that persons back?

If you respected your boss, and he/she demonstrated respect for you, would you be motivated to go above and beyond your job description (self-serving reasons aside)? Would you be inclined to look after that persons interests as you would your own?

YIS

Mike

"The difference is what would you do for a boss who you didnt respect? Clearly you would do your job as defined, but would you do any more than that? Would you watch that persons back?"

Yes, I would go (and have gone) the extra mile for bad bosses because of what I was taught by my parents is self-respect. I've had 20 or 30 bosses in my career...I'd only say that two of them were really any good at being a boss. There are also professional/ethical issues that prevent me from slacking up just because I have a bad boss.

"If you respected your boss, and he/she demonstrated respect for you, would you be motivated to go above and beyond your job description (self-serving reasons aside)?"

"Would you be inclined to look after that persons interests as you would your own?"

My boss's best interest *is* my best interest.

BUT....let's not forget that in this thread we are talking about children. And in my childhood, no child EVER showed open disrespect for ANY adult without suffering the consequences. Unfortunately for BSA, the teeth have been pulled.

I suck at this question stuff! LOL! :)

Let me try this again:

In the original post that this thread was spun from... The mom wrote about how a CC was pretty up[set about being disrespected by a scout. At one point,it almost came to the CC becoming a "Sole arbitor of deciding disrespect" .

So anyways, we read what the mom wrote.

But what if the CC wrote a letter about the scout disrespecting him and asked us what we thought he should do to puish him?

I realize that some of you may in fact be posting exactly what you would say to THAT CC. But I just want to be sure that I clarify that I DO NOT mean to imply that I demand the respect.. or as a matter of fact, I want to clarify that this does not involve me in any way other than ME asking how you would respond.

During one outing we had some minor issues when trying to pack up and leave. One of my SAs approached the patrol leader of a rather young patrol (most had been in the program for one year, PL same age) about asking him to assemble his patrol so that he could address them.

Well about 10 minutes passed and I, the Scoutmaster did the same thing. Again, about 10 minutes later nothing happened. Both times the PL asked but got no real response. So I, in a rather controlled but loud voice, I called the boys of that patrol. After they were all there, I asked them who on Earth elected their PL. They all stated in unison, "we did." Then why, might I ask, don't you listen to what he says? They all looked at their feet. It is a transition for that age group to go from listening to adults - parents, teachers, Scouters, etc. and from older boys - a 17 yr old SPL for instance to start listening/respecting their age peers. My expectation and lesson - you have the freedom to choose your PL but once choosen, follow his "command." I wasn't asking for blind obedience but some modicum of respect.

Again, disrespect can't be measured, disrespectful actions can and should be addressed.(This message has been edited by acco40)

Acco..

I have a loud and stern voice . Matter of fact, my wife says it's loud and stern even when I don'tmean for it to be.

Nothing wrong with your actions at all..at least, not that I see.

But you didn't also tell the to go home, suspend them and threaten to kick them out because you felt disrespected either.

Me, I'm only in Cubs scouts. I'm just about willing to bet that a Cub Scout leader has to talk louder and sterner more often than a Boy Scout leader does, although when the Boy Scouter does it, it's for more serious reasons! :)