Going CO shopping and getting dropped by a CO are two different issues. Obviously some CO's take on scout units for reasons of selfish gain, i.e. it will improve the CO's membership emphasis. This type of relationship may last for a while but will eventually fall apart if the expectations aren't met. Unless the CO is looking to sponsor a unit with no expectation of altruistic gain, i.e. they are doing it as a ministry to the neighborhood (churches) or service to a community (Am Legion), there could be some fall-out on down the road a piece.

Once a unit gets dropped by such a CO, it would do well to seek out a CO and find out for sure what is behind the motivation to sponsor a unit. If they express a desire to provide a program for their community/neighborhood, then start the discussion. If they are looking to improve their own program and/or have some unrealistic expectations that would be difficult to fulfill, then politely thank them and move on down to the next group to interview.

However, on the other hand, the unit is the one making demands on the CO, then the CO needs to decide whether the relationship is beneficial to everyone concerned. If property is being destroyed, neighbors complaining, etc. then it might be wise for a CO to suggest an alternative CO that might be able to meet the needs of the unit better.

Our CO is the Am Legion. They have expectations and have stated them clearly to the scout units for their consideration. If the boys/girls march in the Memorial Day Parade, take their turn in the Memorial Day Ceremony, and sell corn on the cob for their big fund raiser and don't smoke in the legion hall, they will pay for the rechartering. This Am Legion has Boy Scout, Cub Scout and Girl Scout units they sponsor and all units participate in their "rules". I've never heard of a complaint from either the Am Legion or the units. I don't know if we are an exception or the rule out there, but I wouldn't even think about shopping around for another CO!

Stosh

Stosh

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of the really old units in our area have changed chartered orgs once or twice in their history. Often, they were sponsored by schools that don't charter any more, another was chartered by an army base that closed after WWII. One of the exceptions is one of the oldest units around, which is self chartered.

Eeewww.. Self-chartering.. And they have been able to stay that way since the beginning of time?

A district I belonged to turned a blind eye to one troop that self-chartered. Then made them find a true CO.. So in reality self-chartering isn't really allowed in the BSA rulebook.

There are many many units who CO's aren't involved and they may as well be self-chartered..

But, in my opinion an active COR can help a unit tremendously.. If for no other reason to keep the two branches the SM & ASM group and the committee.. From either trying to dominate the other, and to respect the needs of the other group.. This goes a long way in assuring the Adults "play nice"..

I was in a unit self-chartered, a unit with an uninvolved CO, and in a unit with a very involved COR.. When you see what the involvement can do to the dynamics of the unit, you learn to appreciate them.

Yes, self-chartering IS allowed by BSA.

From the Rules and Regulations of the BSA, 2007 printing -

Organization of Units

Clause 1. General. The Corporation (Boy Scouts of America) shall have the power to grant charters to organizations and groups of individuals meeting the requirements of the Bylaws and these Rules and Regulations to organize and maintain units of the Scouting program, and to issue certificates of membership in such units to the officers and members thereof who comply with the requirements of the Bylaws and these Rules and Regulations.

Charters for Community Units

Clause 3. While the formation of units in connection with existing organizations shall be preferred, when conditions warrant a charter may be granted for the formation of a unit independent of any relationship with an existing organization, provided, however, that the applicants are citizens of the United States, who subscribe to the principles of the Scout Oath and Law, and whose interest is primarily in helping boys and young adults through the Scouting program, and who shall have the resources to provide the necessary leadership, supervision, and facilities. In such cases the obligations upon the applicants for a charter shall be the same as those required for organizations.

So, Moosetracker, your district was NOT turning a "blind eye" to your unit. It was fairly, and legally, granted a charter by your council. The CO was most likely something along the order of "Friends of Troop 123". This is actually fairly common in some areas.

As to why they were eventually "made" to find an organization to be their CO, I can only speculate. Any number of reasons could apply.

You could be right.. I know I kept my eye on this troop though I had left it.. I heard that it finally "had" to find a charter org rep.. and I heard that the SM was finally kicked out of scouting for using the BSA program to run his own "Build-a-better-scout" program that went against alot of the Youth-protection rules..

So Council could have been trying to address complaints by adding a CO, before coming in to assess the situation themselves. Or Council could have forced them to add a CO after they found out what had been happening in this unit unchecked for years..

I just know when I mention the "self-chartered" troop to others in District & council (without any of the other particulars), they always raised their eyebrows and told me that it was illegal. And I knew this troop was forced to change. But, I never went to look it up the policy in writing..

Thanks for the information.. But, I myself would never join a troop without an involved CO.