Scoutmaster works for the Committee Chair?

I have experienced issues with this as Scoutmaster. Mainly because of the "Boy Scout Troop Organization Chart" image that can be seen here: http://meritbadge.org/wiki/index.php...cout-troop.gif. I have found that some of the parents in the Troop Committee see this picture and believe it means that the Scoutmaster works FOR the Troop Committee, who works for the Troop Committee Chair, who works for the Chartered Organization Representative. I have reached out to many professional Scouters, who have explained that this picture is really only showing the "reporting in to" function, as far as the lines connecting the boxes. Within the boxes everything is correct. Within the "Troop" box the Patrol leader "works for" the SPL, who "works for" the Scoutmaster. Within the Troop Committee box the Committee Members "work for" the Committee Chair". But the lines connecting the boxes are only showing that the person responsible for the Troop (the Scoutmaster) reports IN TO the Troop Committee and that the Committee Chair reports IN TO the Chartered Organization Representative. This is why the Scoutmaster attends the Committee meetings and gives a Scoutmaster report. Now here is a question... The same parent(s) who seem focused on the whole "you work for us" idea effectively dismisses the Scoutmaster once his report is complete during the Committee meetings. Committee meetings are always scheduled for 1/2 hour before the regular Troop meetings, so the Scoutmaster has to leave anyway. Is this normal/common? Just seems it would be better to be on an off night and that the Scoutmaster would attend the whole meeting (without the right to vote, of course) so that he is aware of all discussions, and can give his guidance and input. Why would any Troop Committee want to make decisions without the Scoutmaster there?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have experienced issues with this as Scoutmaster. Mainly because of the "Boy Scout Troop Organization Chart" image that can be seen here: http://meritbadge.org/wiki/index.php...cout-troop.gif. I have found that some of the parents in the Troop Committee see this picture and believe it means that the Scoutmaster works FOR the Troop Committee, who works for the Troop Committee Chair, who works for the Chartered Organization Representative. I have reached out to many professional Scouters, who have explained that this picture is really only showing the "reporting in to" function, as far as the lines connecting the boxes. Within the boxes everything is correct. Within the "Troop" box the Patrol leader "works for" the SPL, who "works for" the Scoutmaster. Within the Troop Committee box the Committee Members "work for" the Committee Chair". But the lines connecting the boxes are only showing that the person responsible for the Troop (the Scoutmaster) reports IN TO the Troop Committee and that the Committee Chair reports IN TO the Chartered Organization Representative. This is why the Scoutmaster attends the Committee meetings and gives a Scoutmaster report. Now here is a question... The same parent(s) who seem focused on the whole "you work for us" idea effectively dismisses the Scoutmaster once his report is complete during the Committee meetings. Committee meetings are always scheduled for 1/2 hour before the regular Troop meetings, so the Scoutmaster has to leave anyway. Is this normal/common? Just seems it would be better to be on an off night and that the Scoutmaster would attend the whole meeting (without the right to vote, of course) so that he is aware of all discussions, and can give his guidance and input. Why would any Troop Committee want to make decisions without the Scoutmaster there?
Growing up, my SM operated this way. The committee was just a few parents (including my dad) and started its meeting during the troop meeting and once the boys were dismissed, SM went upstairs to give his report. I distinctly remember waiting in the scout house (along with lads waiting for BoRs) for my dad. Never knew anyone to have a problem with it. SM had more hours to spend with youth. The CC and COR represented the SM to the rest of the committee. The all went to the same church (and school, I think, growing up), so they were pretty tight.

My son's SMs aren't comfortable with this, and sit in on the entire meeting. So, we hold it on a different night. Takes up more time out of people's week. With lots of folks pulling double shifts to maintain their standard of living, you lose adults.

As Advisor, I play a much different game. (The chart IS different too! But most folks come in with a sense of things similar to your parents'.) I told my crew committee to not hold any meeting in the absence of the crew president. That solved a multitude of problems. (Caused others, like if a youth doesn't step up and make some phone calls, there is a high probability of their pet activity not happening.)

Different strokes, I guess.

Scoutmaster Jim ... That diagram is right from the BSA. http://www.scoutmastercg.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/troop_committee_guidebook.pdf

The situation is slightly murky until you look at the forms. From my experience, the CC can remove a volunteer. But the COR and CC "both" need to sign the leader applications. Look at the form. Now, if the COR wants to sign for the CC, that's his choice too.

Anyway ... Lazerous thread. Well debated. The real issue is that adult volunteers are not a employer / employee relationship. Ya need to work together.

If you’re getting bogged down in all the “who works for who in this volunteer organization†hog-wash, you have larger issues. A unit only functions correctly when, in this order:

1. You have excited youth interested in the program
  2. You have the support of a Charter Organization
  3. You have a Team of committed parents and volunteers
  4. You have a BSA Charter
  5. You have trained leadership
  6. A scout program is being put on

You will notice the only word I underlined is Team, it’s what cements everything together. It sounds like there’s some cracks in your units cement.

My two cents is set aside unofficial time, outside of meetings and activities, for the unit Key Three to talk. The conversation should start with agreeing on a shared vision of what the unit should be. If the SM is building a swimming pool, the CC a sky scraper, and the COR a pyramid, what you have is a mess! The next topic is creating an outline on how to get there, and the third deciding who will handle what parts. By the time the discussion is over, and the coffee pot empty, you should be a team working on common goals, set to achieve a shared vision.

The key three are COR, CC, and SM; although these three players have varying degrees of authority, that should not come into play. Yea, I know, I went old school on this, and page such and such , of publications this and that, will tell you all about powers and chain of command rubbish … once again, if it comes to that … sit down and have this discussion … as often as needed.

Oh yea, forgot the most important part: this is the scouts program, the SM should be presenting the shared vision he and the SPL created, to the COR and CC.

If things still don’t work, call your UC without delay; or in absence of a UC, your DC. Do not call your DE, he has other things to deal with.

This is only my 2 cents, but it has worked very well in the units I’ve served over the past 25 years.

I used to be a Bear

Todd