Background checks / guidelines for participating parents?

You may want to be informed of that, but I don't think it's a good policy to broadcast concerns about parents. That could get into gossip pretty quickly.

As for what our troop would do, I'm not sure. If the custodial parent didn't warn you, you'd have no idea about the issue, and the non-custodial parent could presumably just come along. We do not, as a general rule, quiz parents about their divorces nor about their legal history before we allow them to come camping.

In practice, it sounds like the non-custodial parent isn't going to actually end up coming, anyway. He has this idea that he wants to go...but he'll never get around to doing it.

With no first-hand knowledge for 10 years about the addiction problems, it's hard to make a decision based on that. The only hard data point you might have would be the felony conviction. I'd find out more about that - and it would be possible that we'd make a decision based on that. I don't think we'd make a policy that we start to ask all parents to fill out the background check, though, so it would only apply to cases where we became aware of it.

Michigan now requires a clearance from the State Dept. of Human Services for adults attending or visiting a residential camp for children. This is mainly for an official camp like Council Camps including Summer Camp. A check is made with the state Child Abuse/ Neglect Central Registry. There is a simple form to fill out and turn into the local DHS office. It must be submitted in person by the named subject. A letter is then sent to requestor showing that they are not on the Registry. This Letter must be turned into the camp along with the Medical Forms. Our Troop keeps a copy also. Our Troop has decided to obtain copies of these letters for all Leaders in the troop and have met no hesitation from anyone.

Perhaps other states have similar Programs. When I turnrd in my request I was asked to have a seat and had my clearance in fifteen minutes. Good Luck.

Divorced parent here -- Non-custodial doesn't mean that there's no visitation rights. Ask the dad to produce custody agreement, if he does and he can visit his son, make sure Mom has granted permission for this occasion.

This should be a standard youth protection issue for any unit. Schools already do this to see if a non-custodial parent can pick up a kid at school --should be the same for us.

There are two type of Custody. Physical and Legal.

You have to determine which kind of custody is being referred to...if the Non-Custodial parent still has shared custody (Physical and Legal) then it would be inappropriate for the Troop to prohibit him/her from joining in.

If the Non-Custodial Parent still shares Joint Legal Custody. Then the that parent has all of the same rights as the other parent.

I am more likely to suspect that the Custodial Parent in this case does in fact desire to undermine the relationship between the other parent and the Scout.

Technically speaking, the Custodial Parent may be engaging in Parental Alienation. Trying to undermine the relationship of the other parent by means of influencing the child and other people that frequently interface with the child. This parent is most likely the culprit of many of the activities that is being accused of the other parent.

If I were you, regardless of the participation of the Custodial Parent to this point, would take extreme caution with this Custodial Parent and try to afford access by the Non-Custodial Parent.

Yes....I have lived this.

(This message has been edited by Engineer61)

I am also a divorced Dad. I had joint legal custody with parenting time.

This is an area where the IH/COR need to be involved and supportive. Most Councils, on their Exec Board, retain a General Counsel. In addition, there are almost always more than a couple attorneys in the Council.

The Chartered Partner should ask for reliable advice. Every situation is just a little bit different. Let the folks who are familiar with family law locally and this situation perhaps in particular help solve the issue specifically and then generically for the future.

Beavah, now and again, puts his disclaimer on his advice here. You don't want someone giving you a disclaimer, you want advice hats can be hung on.