On a recent outing, Senior Scouts (14 y.o.) gave a bottle of urine to a younger Scout (11 y.o.) and the younger Scout was told to get someone to drink it. The younger Scout knew what was in the bottle. The chosen victim did not drink the contents and came to me to report. I found that there were three Scouts involved and brought them to the SM. The younger Scout stepped up and said it was his fault, although it was a conspiracy. He was admonished by the SM and told his BOR would be delayed because of his actions. The older Scouts to my knowlege, suffered no consequence, because the younger Scout was the "Trigger man" and could have prevented the whole affair. I disagree, would appreciate any comment.

Also, if the victim did drink, could parents have the other Scouts involved arrested?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If this happened in our Troop, there would be serious consequences for all involved. First of all, SPL and PL would be brought in to sit down and talk with the Scouts involved on how inappropriate this kind of "prank" is and how it does not fit in the Scout Law.

Once we discovered who was actually involved, parents would be called, and the involved Scouts would immediately be removed from the activity, and would be placed on suspension until a Scoutmasters conference could be convened with the Scout, parents, Senior Scout Leadership, Scoutmaster, and relevant Assistant Scoutmasters. Following this, a Board of Review with the Troop Committee would be required before there would be any consideration of lifting the suspension. Until then, the involved Scouts would not be welcome at any Scouting activity. Further suspension would be based on what each of the Scouts did and how they take responsibility for their actions. This would all be done very transparently and within full knowledge and view of all Scouts and parents.

We do the best we can to run our Troop within the Scout Law. The prank described was far outside of the Scout Law, and must be dealt with swiftly and accordingly. Scouting should be a safe place, and no Scout should ever be subject to such a humiliating and disgusting "prank".

And if any of the Scouts or parents have a problem with the above, they can find another Troop.

Wow, I'd certainly have those older scouts reprimanded for their actions. They should NEVER have done that to the younger scout, they should know better and set a better example.

14year old scouts are much older than an 11year old scout. I'm thinking that the 11year old's punishment is well suited. The 14year old scouts should have any BOR delayed by AT LEAST 6 months, they should make a formal apology to the entire troop WITH PARENTS PRESENT, and explain what it was they did in front of everyone. I would even go so far as to make them the official dish washers for each patrol for 6 months. They should also have to prove to the SM that they have learned the error in their ways and show that they once again are following the Scout Law.

If they have a history of such behavior I'd be very close, and probably would, bring their parents into a SMC and explain why they are being removed from the troop.

The 11year old was surely pressured into doing it by the older scouts. Even though he was the so called trigger man, I doubt he would have done that on his own.

I doubt they could be arrested, but harassment charges surely could be filed against them. Even now harassment charges could still be filed against them.

I guess you can see that I'm not very tolerant of such behavior. Practical jokes are one thing, but there is a line that is drawn, and having someone drink someone else's urine is totally and fully past that line. If this type of behavior isn't dealt with Swiftly, openly, and justly then it will happen again...

Mike B

SMT, great points added about the getting the PLC involved and the committee BOR as well.

I also VERY much agree that scouting should be a safe haven for the boys (and adults!), I have no tolerance for any forms of harassment (aka bullying), fighting, teasing, etc within the troop. I also agree that if any parent has a problem with this, they can go ahead and find another troop.

Mike B

When I saw "Pranks", I was thinking dead garter snake in the chuck box. Good stuff. I might have been the one who put it there!

Getting someone to drink a bottle of urine? Different ball game. Older boys are the ones who should be hammered. They are the leaders who are expected to set the example and they took advantage of the 11-yr old "trigger man".

Yah, I think SMT224 has da right of this, eh? The lads all get sent home, and their continuing Scouting is at least placed on hold if not in permanent jeopardy. Anything less is just a lack of courage and conviction on da part of the adults.

The legal issues are really irrelevant, eh? We're not about callin' da cops to solve every issue of youth behavior. Lads occasionally get tired and frustrated and throw punches or make other bad decisions, too. That doesn't mean we book 'em for assault and battery.

Beavah

I personally would say that this should be grounds for the immediate and unappealable expulsion of the three Scouts involved. It grieves me to say that, in my own troop, not all of my fellow leaders would agree with this or any other punitive course of action, but that's another story altogether.

As I am learning, adults - including some you like and admire - will sometimes have very different thresholds for what is annoying vs. what is a problem, vs. what is appalling. For myself, I can say that if I ever decide to offer my talents in support of another scout unit, I will first want to ask them to tell me how they handle incidents like this one. Because, as I have also learned, nothing drives people apart to bitter ends faster than serious disagreements about where to draw the line, and perceptions that one side is too spineless or too oblivious to take action when it needs to be taken.

Specifically, any troop that punished the 11 year old "trigger man" and not the older kids who put him up to it, in a more serious way than just a finger wagging and slight delay in rank, would not be a troop I could serve.

I agree that this has no room in Scouting, however the reaction of having the older boys act as dishwashers bothers me. Isn't that reaction a corporal one? I would be racking my brain to come up with something, it's just I'm not sure that having them handle that task really introduces more problems that it solves?

Just asking. Man, I'd be all over this one, not just the young scout, all involved would know. Oh and If nobody wants to fess up as to who the older guys were, I'd pull plug on the whole outing thing for a time.

Yeah Lisa, I follow your line of thinking.

The way I see it, it sounds like the "influential" older boys used peer pressure on a younger boy, but got away with it because the younger ( read: less mature) boy didn't stand up against the older ( considered: cool) and more experienced boys.

So the leasson learned? Make sure you convince young guys to pull your pranks for you so that they will take the fall for your bad judgement.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I see the outcome being exactly backwards. The older boys should have gotten the brunt of whatever punishment dolled out, the youger kid gets less punishment - this is a great place to have a lesson by the way.

BOR's are held as scheduled.. and this particular event is brought up, discussed and used an a reason for showing the scouts advancement or lack of , based on living the Oath and following Scout Spirit.

This is hazing which should never be tolerated to any degree... it is a surefire way to lose the faith of the new scout parents. The older boys should know better by reason of both age and particularly if they are in any position of leadership. They should bear the brunt of the punishment. I would think many additional service hours are the way to go.