We had our AOL and Crossover ceremonies tonight, with 3 Webelos II Dens. 19 boys total. 15 of them joined our Troop, and 4 joined a strong Troop down the road. We just went from 26 Scouts in the Troop to 41. I don't think we can consider ourselves a small Troop anymore.

We started with 6 boys in September, 2007 and I remember at the time wondering if we would ever get to a second patrol. Now we are wondering if we can turn down the faucet. From day one we have only been interested in providing a quality program, not worrying about how big we were. That hasn't changed, but now we are worrying about being able to provide the quality program at this size, and knowing we are likely to continue to grow. Fortunately, I have been blessed with good leaders, willing to go through training and work together as a team. Our older boys (we have 7 8th graders) are very active; most have attended NYLT and are getting involved with OA. They are doing a pretty good job of running the Troop and expanding their responsibilities in the PLC. We all have our work cut out for us now.

Brent,

Congratulations!

You will indeed find things changing if you get so large (or bring in so many young guys at once) that your size exceeds the ability of your boys to run. I have supported a troop with 135 members. Never again. The troop which now calls me Scoutmaster is capped at 35 members and delivers a much stronger program with a very high retention rate and guys active all the way into college.

I have heard rumor about large troops being effectively run by the boys, but have never seen it in person.

Brent,

Reminds us of "Field of Dreams": build it and they will come. I like to think that the program you are delivering a program similar to where our troop is going, but you are a year ahead of us. We are now up to 22 with as many as 5 prospects still being courted, and next year we are anticipating 15-20 new scouts also.

Keep up the good work. Having quality, trained leaders on the same page is certainly the key, but the vision of the Scoutmaster is important as well. Congrats!

At one time our troop (1970s through the 1990s) hovered between 50 and 80 scouts. I grew up in a troop of 18-25 (the troop I am now the SM was our biggest nemesis). I have too have concerns about being to deliver a quality program to a group of scouts approaching and over 50. I have always said I would split the troop if we got that large, but with good support and experienced leaders from this our troop's "Golden Age" returning to our committee, I am slowly warming to the idea of a larger group. There are plenty of strong troops in our immediate area, it is unlikely we can grow that big...

>>I have always said I would split the troop if we got that large, but with good support and experienced leaders from this our troop's "Golden Age" returning to our committee, I am slowly warming to the idea of a larger group. There are plenty of strong troops in our immediate area, it is unlikely we can grow that big...

Congrats, Brent! You are well on your way to become a large troop! I wish that we can turn back time and "cap" as Mike spoke of. You really can't! Who do you chose? We had 63 boys rechartered with 8 moved on to college. Two weeks ago, 23 new scouts joined. We are now back to 86 boys strong (or weak). Mike and Barry are correct. It is difficult have a truly boy-run troop. Two weeks ago, we have boys run all over the place troop! :) Mike, I'll spin-off a new thread, but how do y'all cap it off? By the way, splitting again not good. We already split 10 years ago and we do not have another establishment who will charter. Both troops are 60/80 boys strong!

Anyway, enjoy the new blood and energy!

1Hour

We've consistently grown by about 6-8 scouts the past 5 years and just got 30 this month to pop from 54 to 84 scouts. This winter, we just moved to a larger area since we were pressing the walls out on our location.

I believe an 85-scout troop is too large to offer the opportunity, community, and unity available in a 30- to 40-scout troop. I started research into splitting last year and plan to pursue that so this time next year, before we break 100, there are plans in place to plant a new crop in a fresh field.

Scout On

I was a Scout in a 120+ Troop and we had community - it was those Patrols! The great thing about a big Troop is that you HAVE to use the Patrol method, there is no way for the Scoutmaster to run it all.

The Troop I serve is fast approaching 70 Scouts, up from 35 or so when I joined. We have 5 Patrols of 10+ each (mixed age), giving each one a strong set of Scouts for every campout. We have a good stack of boys in Leadership positions. My older Scouts are moving into our Venture Crew, and still supporting the Troop as well.

41 boys is not a large number for a Troop. Scouts vote with their feet and a growth of 35 boys in four years indicates that they like the program. Keep up the good work and don't be afraid to keep growing. If it hasn't happened already, you will lose some that just crossed over within a year.

• 11 months later...

Another year later, another cross-over. There were 15 Webelos coming out of two Dens tonight. We started the evening with 41 Scouts in our Troop, and were expecting 8 to join us. We ended up with 11 new Scouts, with the other 4 going 1 each to 4 other neighboring Troops. I really didn't expect to exceed 50 this year - I'm going to have to get used to that number. My guess is some of these will drop, as some are very involved with sports, but our retention rate is still pretty high, right around 90%. I know we have one Scout who moved to Memphis last year who is moving back and rejoining the Troop at the end of the school year, and has already put a deposit down for Summer Camp. That will give us 53. Time to recruit a few more ASMs and build a Scout Hut!

Congrats on a successful program. Just got home after retrieving my son from his weekly troop meeting tonight and they had a small herd of new crossover guys there, too. The troop he is with now had under 15 scouts a couple of years ago, and today it stands at about 60 (many crossovers, a few others like my son who transferred from other troops). Yes indeed, scouts vote with their feet.

It brings new challenges, not least, "where will we put them all?!" but that's part of the fun, too. The older guys in my son's troop are excitedly talking about the new projects they can launch, and how to maintain the very boy-led feel of the troop as it grows (good sign, I think, that the boys are taking charge of this discussion).

Have fun, Brent!