I use a fork with all my pizza, regardless of style...at least for the first piece. Something about actually dining in at a quality pizza establishment (rather than 30 minute old delivery pizza) leaves it mouth burning hot when it hits the table. It's a lot harder to pull out a handheld bite with scalding cheese clinging to the roof of your mouth.

Or it could be the German ancestry in me that requires the use of utensils with almost any food (wings and ribs excluded). My great grandfather was a stickler for that sort of thing.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With all due consideration to my fellow members of the Pie Patrol (Banished Contingent), thin crust pizza is vastly superior to deep dish.

Thin crust is, well, thinner...and does not intrude on the primary reasons for enjoying pizza: melted cheeses, tasty/greasy meats, and spicy tomato sauce...might throw a few mushrooms or onions on there for conscience sake....

Thin crust does not make itself the primary focus of a pizza fest...thick crust? Good grief, gnawing on pound of dough per slice is tiring and on occassion, unseemly. The diner is exhausted two slices in!

1 - Strawberry Pie (with whipped cream on it)

2 - Sho-fly pie

3 - Cherry Pie

4 - Pecan Pie

5 - Key Lime Pie

Then to also add to the list:

Mince Meat pie

Berry pie (made with berries found while camping, then cooked in a Dutch oven)

I'm in the middle: I like a medium crust pizza PIE!

The bottom of the3 crust will be nice and crispy, yet as you move upward towards the toppings and sauce, there is a slight chewyness to the crust - not to be confused with greasy/soggyness.

Too much crust and the bottom must get burnt to cook the upper crust fully or the bottom is just right and the upper level of crust is gooey.

Too thin of crust, and it gets burnt while the tomato sauce/paste does not get that carmelizing time it needs.

"Thin crust is, well, thinner...and does not intrude on the primary reasons for enjoying pizza: melted cheeses, tasty/greasy meats, and spicy tomato sauce."

Ah, but the problem with thin crust is that you don't get enough of what you call "the primary reasons for enjoying pizza". Thin crust just can't handle it in any real quantity... a real culinary engineering dilemma.

"Thin crust does not make itself the primary focus of a pizza fest...thick crust? Good grief, gnawing on pound of dough per slice is tiring and on occassion, unseemly. The diner is exhausted two slices in! "

Well, two slices is enough for the average human anyway.

But, you need to pay more attention to the filling-to-crust ratio. Simple application of math will tell us that a Chicago style pizza has much more of the "primary reasons for enjoying pizza" vs. crust than New York style.

Using rough estimates, the ratio of pizza filling in a Chicago style pizza is approximately 4:1, while that of a New York thin crust pizza is closer to 1:1.

"I'm in the middle: I like a medium crust pizza PIE! "

Do you mean Pizza Hut pan pizza?(This message has been edited by nolesrule)

Well, Pizza Hut will do in a pinch, but I prefer non-chain establishments where it is made by hand. Where no two pizzas are the same.

Not the pre measured. preprepared ( within reason that is) ingredients.

The local pizza place I go to makes it's own sauce daily. Nothing pre bpought. Not a chain and I will bet that even thought the ingredients list is the same, the actuall amount of ingredients is different in a daily basis.

The cool thin about this place is that the use a little bit of sugar to kill the heartburn causing acidity, but then put in a touch of lemon juice to counteract th sweetness.

Pizza Hut or Dominoe's only if I'm in a pinch!

Nolesrule, your use of math in a pizza pie discussion is quite admirable!

Though you state the case for thick crust logically, and with iron-clad scientific proof, I still can't wait for my mid tour leave to go out with the family to an old-school East Coast pizza place for thin crust pizza!

But they all like thick/medium, so you know how that goes....

It seemed appropriate to introduce the math, considering the calculations required for volume of a cylinder and length of circumference require the use of Pi.

And since we're on the subject of Pi and pie, don't forget to celebrate tomorrow.