Seeing as us pie lovers were asked to vacate the previous thread I thought pie lovers should have their own thread. Post your top 5 pies here:

1. Pecan ( or do you say picawn)

2. Cherry Pie (ala mode)

3.Cherry Pie....She's My ( by Warrant)

4. Key Lime ( at Sea Base only, otherwise it's not worth it)

5. Mom's Apple ( to not include on this list would be Un-American)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Key Lime Pie, unofficial pie of Florida (the best Key Lime pie in the country is actually from Tampa, not the Keys)

2. Grandma's Lemon Meringue Pie

3. Cherry Pie

4. Pecan Pie, thank you folks to the north of us

5. Grandma's Plum Tart (not really a pie, but close)

6. Cheesecake (misc.), because it's really a pie, not a cake, and in case you don't count my #5.

If you don't believe that cheesecake is really a pie, you need to look at how pies and cakes are defined, and then look at how cheesecake is made.

when I was a scout, we never never never ever called cheesecake pie and anyone who thinks cheesecake is close to a pie, or even talks cheesecake in a pie thread is not doing Pie at all, its just doing stuff in a pie thread. When you joined this thread you knew it was about Pie and here you are espousing views that contradict pie, I am highly, finely and ultimately offended and disgusted

You can just take your cheesecake and start your own cheesecake thread and have stories about your beloved cheesecake and maybe even have a link to some pictures of cheesecakes you like. Come to think of it, Do you have any cheesecake photo links?

Gee OGE, now you've gone and turned a perfectly innocent thread into a major controversy! ;)

Pie is basically a crusted baked item. Cakes are not.

So where does cheesecake fit in? Or how about Shepherd's Pie? Chicken/Beef pot pie? Pizza pie?

Does the pie have to be round and cooked in a pie pan? Or does a pasty count as a pie because of the crust and ingredients?

A custard pie is really no different than a cheese cake in preparation except one has an egg base while the other has cheese.

When I'm at home I make a chocolate chip cheesecake in a 9" X 13" cake pan, but when I'm doing Dutch oven cooking, I use the same recipe with 2 - 9" pie pans. Is it that I just suffer from some identity crisis here? Is there some culinary rule that if one can't measure the baking utensil using Pi, it isn't pie?

I'd carry on this argument further, but I'm beginning to drool on my keyboard.

Stosh

Now we're talking!

No particular order:

- Key lime: my key lime story begins many years ago when I was on temporary duty to Key West Naval Air Station for 3 months. I tried key lime pie at many places along the Keys but the servings were mostly small slices of varying quality, priced quite high.

So I visit a local bakery one day, and they had fresh key lime pies that cost about the same as two slices in a restaurant...taste was sublime (no pun intended)

- Peach (no long story attached)

- Cherry (ditto)

- Pumpkin

- Strawberry

- Pecan (that's six but I beg my fellow scouters' indulgence for making a mockery of the proceedings)

Who knew pie could be so contrversial.... Oh of course you always run into those folks who want to cast a wide net of inclusion. What next? Cakes, kolackies, COOKIES?

I say pie is pie and pie alone. Lest you think I am some pie eyed crackpot let me furnish you some links for your edification.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pie

http://piecouncil.org/

No where is there a mention cheescake, pasties or the like. If you don't like the rules start your own dessert organization. :)

1) Coconut Cream Pie

2) Cherry Pie (my mother's recipe and crust. Really good served hot with sour cream! or cold with homemade whipped cream)

3) Strawberry Pie (my mother-in-law's recipe, rest her soul)

4) Cheesecake pie (my recipe, topped with either cherries or blueberries)

5) Lemon Meringue Pie (again, my mother's recipe and crust)

The troop was just given a brand new 10" dutch oven. It is too small for a one-pot meal for an eight-scout patrol (all of our patrols are now full!), so I want to start experimenting with pies or other pastries for the adults. Anyone have any good dutch oven recipes for pies and pie crusts?

Generally speaking, I have found Europeans to be fairly pragmatic. Obviously there are exceptions, but I would put European pastries and pies in the "well balanced" category. They are not as sugar filled as American deserts. Often times they are lighter, have fewer calories and certainly less fat. And my observations are that, unlike many from this country, they do not overindulge in them.

Just an opinion based upon my observations.

No, that's not what I'm saying.

I guess my point was that the English language stands alone in the culinary misnomer regarding this particular type of pie. Food should be categorized by the way it's prepared, not the way it's (mis)named.

Although they do make some good food in Europe. A salad in Greece is way better than any Greek Salad I've had in the USA. And I'm pretty sure it wasn't because of the view overlooking the caldera on Santorini. :)(This message has been edited by nolesrule)