Boy scout without a troop

My son just crossover a few weeks ago and we planned on joining the troop of our co. My problem is that my son is also in Hebrew school and now goes twice a week and has turtoing twice aweek. I do not want to over extend my son but we both do not want to give up scouting. I guess my question is: is there lone scouting in BS like in CS? Thanks for any help.

Being Jewish, I can sympathize with your situation.

There is a Lone Scout program for Boy Scouts, but quite honestly, you'd be missing out on much that the scouting program has to offer.

I know there is no way to change the Hebrew School schedule (and most shuls require maintaining enrollment and attendance in order to have a bar mitzvah), but is it possible that you could find a troop in your area that meets one of the nights of the tutoring and possibly move that day's tutoring session to the weekend?

I understand that may only be possible if you are using a flexible private tutor, but it's just a thought.

Edit to add: You might also want to look into seeing if there is a troop that meets on Sunday. i had forgotten to mention that possibility, but there some who do. On a similar note, if your shul is not the CO, you might look into seeing if they are interested in starting a troop that would meet on Sundays. It takes a lot of work to start one from scratch, but it can be rewarding. Just a couple more possibilities.(This message has been edited by nolesrule)

Being a CUB scouter and not a BOY scouter myself( ADL) - I could be wrong, but have to ask:

Isn't holding a POR or leadership positio within a patrol required for some advancement?

I mean, I guess ther are possibly different rules for lone scouts ( no experience myself) but at the same time, it sounds like it just couldn't work.

Thank you for all of your responses. My son does not want to give up on Scouting and would like to go to the meetings. i will look around and see if there is a differnet meeting we can join. I wanted to stay with our troop since i am still connected to the Pack. I was just concerned that he really would not be able to attend any campouts until he has his bar mitzah but I guess we will cross that bridge when it comes. thanks.

Scoutfish....

We are all Scouters. There is no Cub Scouter or Cubber.

We are adults, mostly volunteers, committed to supporting the programs of the Boy Scouts of America.

You're a Scouter affiliated with a Pack. I'm a Scouter affiliated with a Crew.

Make sense?

Scoutfish

Yep John is correct. however a more accurate description would be the follow:

If you volunteer your time to Scouting, you are a volunteer.

If you are paid to do Scouting, you are a professional

If you pay to do Scouting, you are a Scouter.