When is it necessary to have a ScoutParent actually register as a volunteer

Hi All,

Our Troop is rapidly expanding, in the last three years we've gone from a little more than 10 to over 50 scouts. Our Troop Committee and Scoutmaster are overwhelmed and we are now more seriously recruiting help from the parents.

But here is the problem. Some of the help we need, for instance extra drivers, will put some adults in greater contact with the scouts. Many of our drivers and other parent helpers actually stay with the rest of the troop during overnight outings. Even if they maintain a good observation role in these activities we still can't ignore their presence and the need for basic training and vetting with the troop leadership.

The only way we know how to do this is have the adults register with BSA as adult volunteers. Unfortunately, this registration requires choosing a position. The only positions that are even remotely applicable are ASM and Troop Committee member. However, we are really not asking them to take on that much responsibility.

What are other troops doing for vetting ScoutParents?

-Jon

Let them know, in a firm matter, that as an open organization parents are always welcome as quiet observers. If they would like to actively particpate in committee meetings or during outings they are welcome to register with the BSA for the corresponding position.

Once registered, or prior if preferred, have the Scoutmaster or Committee Chair discuss with the parent what role and responsibilities the parent would like to take on.

Of course the best action to take is t recruit these folks, not just take on volunteers.

The is no bigger headache for a Scoutmaster than a parent, who does not understand the BSA program, registered, trained or not, trying to "help out."(This message has been edited by acco40)

I know this sounds like I'm splitting hairs, but we don't recruit volunteers we select them.

Working with the Troop Committee a list of what help you really need, should be made.

Then looking at this list see what people are available and pair up the best person for that specific job.

Then make an appointment to visit with this person. Let him or her know that they have been selected by the Committee for this job, explain all the duties and responsibilities along with the expectations.

If the only real problem seems to be transportation maybe renting a couple of 15 seater vans is an answer? The cost when split 15 ways is not that great.

Eamonn.

The ScoutParent unit position is a non fee position. Have them fill out another youth application for their son. At the bottom where the parents fill out there info, is a new bubble that states "I agree to be an active ScoutParent." When turning in the application note on it that the boy is currently paid in the unit and that you are just adding a ScoutParent.

There is also a position called ScoutParent Unit Coordinator, more info can be found here http://meritbadge.org/wiki/index.php/ScoutParent_Unit_Coordinator. For this position, the person would need to fill out an adult application and pay the fee.

Thank you for all of the good advice. We are an inclusive troop and encourage the ScoutParents to actively support the troop.

Today we already have all Troop Committee positions and ASM positions filled. We look to our new ScoutParents as the pool of future TC members and/or ASMs.

We encourage the ScoutParents to help do a lot of the "leg work" in researching new activity venues for our growing troop. Many of these ScoutParents actually come on the trips and maintain a respectable "hands off" role during the activity.

However, it is a concern of our Troop Committee that the ScoutParents do not have any of the basic training offered by BSA like Youth Protection. Yes, we can always ask them to take the training online but there is no traceability unless they actually register as an Adult Volunteer with BSA. The problem then is that if they register with BSA they need to select either "Troop Committee Member" or "AMS/SM" and those positions are already filled. That, and most of the ScoutParents are not interested in the greater commitment of these roles.

Maybe I will restate the problem this way: without the ability to register ScoutParents we have no means to run a background check or track their training. Yet, as drivers and activity facilitators they come into contact with scouts.

-Jon

I think you need to be clear on what you are trying to accomplish by registering volunteers.

When is it 'necessary'? It is rarely necessary to register volunteers. It is often a good idea. According to BSA policies, you would need to be registered as a committee member if you are going to sit on a board of review. You need to be registered to wear the uniform. You need at least one adult to be registered in order to take the Scouts camping.

You could require training and vetting without requiring joining. Our troop does require any adult going camping to take Youth Protection and Fast Start.

In practice, though, you have a bigger problem. The problem isn't how to choose whether or not to register parents and what position to pick. Your problem is that your Scoutmaster and committee are overwhelmed. You need more committee members and more assistant Scoutmasters.

Yep, I agree with Oak Tree. First you state you are overwhelmed then you state you have all positions filled. If you are that overwhelmed then you do need more help, that usually means more registered help.

You can track the online training of unregistered volunteers easily enough. Have them print out a copy of the form at the end of their online training, and give it to you.

If you, and your CO, are that concerned with doing background checks on all adults who have any kind of contact with the Scouts, then your only option is to require that all parents register as Committee Members. Committee members do not have to have a specific job function. If the Troop does require this, you might consider including the cost of those registrations in the Troop budget, and have the Troop pay for them.

"I think you need to be clear on what you are trying to accomplish by registering volunteers.

When is it 'necessary'? It is rarely necessary to register volunteers. It is often a good idea. According to BSA policies, you would need to be registered as a committee member if you are going to sit on a board of review. You need to be registered to wear the uniform. You need at least one adult to be registered in order to take the Scouts camping.

You could require training and vetting without requiring joining. Our troop does require any adult going camping to take Youth Protection and Fast Start.

In practice, though, you have a bigger problem. The problem isn't how to choose whether or not to register parents and what position to pick. Your problem is that your Scoutmaster and committee are overwhelmed. You need more committee members and more assistant Scoutmasters. "

Great advice. Yes, we would like to do the same as your troop and require Youth Protection and Fast Start for the ScoutParents. But we have no evidence that they've actually taken the training nor do we have any sort of background check without registering. Maybe our troop committee is just a little to worried about these things?!

Yes, you are right on target about us being overwhelmed and I need a little advice here. We are a little shy about having our TC attendance growing past the 10 or so TC members we have now. I hear you, we may have to bit the bullet and get a larger venue for the TC meetings and endure longer discussions if the TC meeting attendance gets to be too big for the living room.

ASM is a little more touchy because many of the ScoutParents really don't want to take all of the training nor do they want to make the larger commitment.

All said, you are right on target: we are definately overwhelmed and have never had to coordinate the ScoutParents. In the history of the Troop most of the parents have been "tail light" parents. Now, with nearly 60 scouts we have a new wave of (former) Webelo parents stepping forward to ask how they can help.

Based on your excellent advice I will propose we encourage ScoutParents to take Fast Start and Youth Protection but remain unregistered.

-Jon

"If you, and your CO, are that concerned with doing background checks on all adults who have any kind of contact with the Scouts, then your only option is to require that all parents register as Committee Members. Committee members do not have to have a specific job function. If the Troop does require this, you might consider including the cost of those registrations in the Troop budget, and have the Troop pay for them. "

Ah, I did not know that one can be a member of the Troop Committee without having a position. That may be a solution.

The only problem then is the TC meetings will grow and we'll need to find a new venue. Currently, about 10 of our 12 TC members attend at each meeting and we are able to host the meeting in somebody's living room. I guess with a larger troop the days of cozy TC meetings are over. :)

I guess my next problem will be how to run an effective TC meeting with so many attendees. I can search the forum for pointers.

By the way, I am the newest member of the TC and have been with the troop for nearly a year. So while the troop is wrestling with sudden growth at the same time I am still on the learning curve myself.

-Jon

As has been already pointed out, they don't need to be registered to take those training classes. If they attend a class in person, they should receive a card at the end of the course saying they completed the training. And online they can print the completion card for you.

It is a good idea to have all volunteers go through the Youth Protection class.

Believe when I say that having 30 or 40 MCs will not translate into 30 or 40 people at every committee meeting. We have that many, and it's usually the core 8 or 10 who attend, those who would be considered sub-committee chairs.

And, we meet at our regular meeting place. We just put ourselves on the schedule every year for the same day of the month every month. Makes us pretty easy to find. I would suggest moving to your meeting place just as a symbolic way to make it clear to newcomers that the group is not a social clique who happens to run the Troop Committee as well. Meeting on "neutral" ground is more business like and tends to keep meetings moving forward. The horridly uncomfortable chairs and out of whack HVAC settings help, too. ;)

"Today we already have all Troop Committee positions and ASM positions filled. We look to our new ScoutParents as the pool of future TC members and/or ASMs. "

I wasn't aware there was a limit on TC or even ASM positions. Register anyone that wants to be registered and help. Doing the online training is easy, arrange a nite at a place like a school that has a coumpter lab, sit all the adults down and have then do the basic stuff as a group. Then take them all over for coffee and questions.

Would it be possible to hold the training at a Parents meeting? If you have a cooperative Trainer in your area I would think they'd be more than happy to provide the training to your group. You could also try hooking up your computer to the TV or using a projector to view the on-line training. This way you can ensure they all learn about the BSA and receive Youth Protection.

Just a thought!

Truer words have never been spoken!

We have around 35 parents who "volunteer", but the funy thing is, only about 8 to 10 of us show up for each event or actually set up, clean up, cook, organize, etc. When it's time to meet and vote, ALL the volunteers show up and "decide" what's the best thing to do.

A week later when we start, the 8 to 10 of us who ACTUALLY do it decide on what we are going to do. The ones who voted but never show up - somehow don't notice the changes.

Granted, I'm in a pack instead of in a troop, but parents are parents. They are the same either way.

If you wanted, register them as comittee members. There is no rule saying you can't have a car wash committee, aa auxillary equipment committee ( flags , banners, etc), cooking overview committee ( for adult meals at campouts) ,etc. You can make up all the committees you want so each adult has a position as a membver or even a chair if you like.

Might even help to say committee chairs and leaders fees are covered by the troop , but general committee members have to pay half.

Truer words have never been spoken!

We have around 35 parents who "volunteer", but the funy thing is, only about 8 to 10 of us show up for each event or actually set up, clean up, cook, organize, etc. When it's time to meet and vote, ALL the volunteers show up and "decide" what's the best thing to do.

A week later when we start, the 8 to 10 of us who ACTUALLY do it decide on what we are going to do. The ones who voted but never show up - somehow don't notice the changes.

Granted, I'm in a pack instead of in a troop, but parents are parents. They are the same either way.

If you wanted, register them as comittee members. There is no rule saying you can't have a car wash committee, aa auxillary equipment committee ( flags , banners, etc), cooking overview committee ( for adult meals at campouts) ,etc. You can make up all the committees you want so each adult has a position as a membver or even a chair if you like.

Might even help to say committee chairs and leaders registration and recharter fees are covered by the troop , but general committee members have to pay half.

Sounds crazy, I know, but those random committee people may one day step up and be your main help or main committee leaders.